Idea For Improved Brakes?

CalRobbo341

Has anyone ever thought about welding another disc mount onto a frame or fork? Then for example modifying the hub to be able to mount 2 discs onto it. Once that is done attach to discs onto the hub, then get two hope callipers then attach them to the frame or fork, get some hose splitters and then link it up to a hope lever and have double the braking power. I know motorbikes do this as they go at high speeds but if you really need some extra braking power? I can weld so I would try it although I don't have the money to buy two hope callipers and the rest of it.. :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever thought about welding another disc mount onto a frame or fork? Then for example modifying the hub to be able to mount 2 discs onto it. Once that is done attach to discs onto the hub, then get two hope callipers then attach them to the frame or fork, get some hose splitters and then link it up to a hope lever and have double the braking power. I know motorbikes do this as they go at high speeds but if you really need some extra braking power? I can weld so I would try it although I don't have the money to buy two hope callipers and the rest of it.. :rolleyes:

What are you trying to stop a tank ?

One hope is enough nevermind two.

If you want a seriously good brake get a shimano deore 2012 you can get them brand new on the internet for £55

They have amazing hold and bite. (Y)

What are you trying to stop a tank ?

They have amazing hold and bite. (Y)

Just in case people that are heavy and want to start riding trials, I know hopes are good but for example maybe a really bad cable disc brake that is improved to 2 really bad cable disc brakes :L.....I haven't thought about this very well, have I :')

I faintly remember hearing about someone running a magura rim brake and disk brake through the some lever somehow, so your idea but a rim instead of disk

I cant think where i heard it, i may just be going insane and making stuff up but i recognise it from somewhere

Seems completely pointless anyway, if you want a better front brake, buy a maggy/vee instead of a disk

Just in case people that are heavy and want to start riding trials, I know hopes are good but for example maybe a really bad cable disc brake that is improved to 2 really bad cable disc brakes :L.....I haven't thought about this very well, have I :')

I have to admit ive thought about this before but it was just a thought.

If you want a good brake my advice would be get your self a shimano deore, honestly the best brake ive used, i rode them duel on my onza pro last year. and i'll garantee ill be riding them again this year when i get a new frame.

I faintly remember hearing about someone running a magura rim brake and disk brake through the some lever somehow, so your idea but a rim instead of disk

I cant think where i heard it, i may just be going insane and making stuff up but i recognise it from somewhere

Seems completely pointless anyway, if you want a better front brake, buy a maggy/vee instead of a disk

Im already running dual magura's, both rim's have a grind, running plastic cnc yellows also, so there fine, just an idea that is all.

I have to admit ive thought about this before but it was just a thought.

If you want a good brake my advice would be get your self a shimano deore, honestly the best brake ive used, i rode them duel on my onza pro last year. and i'll garantee ill be riding them again this year when i get a new frame.

coool! B)

doesn't the power for each caliper get reduced the more that are added? The lever currently puts all it's force into one caliper, if you start to add more that power gets split up and shared meaning each caliper produces less power.

I could be wrong and theory is one thing and real world use is another, but I think it's un-necessary, heavier, more things to break not to mention the caliper would have to be mounted on the front of the forks, under the frame unless you custom make some.

motorbike brakes are not servo assisted, they are the same principle apart from being a lot more heavy duty. you wouldn't want a hope mono trial stopping you from 100mph would you? that's why they are on any super bike 300+mm and use both sides. but the master cylinder is designed to work like this in the first place. on a pedal bike twin disks would be overkill. some one did try it in the late 90's, but I can't find any links to show you. think it was formula who did it

The force from your finger might be 200 newtons say, that's the maximum your finger can produce. If you have one disc and caliper, then each one will get 100n effectively. There are smaller factors like friction, surface area etc that play a part, but if you're talking real world and rough effects, adding an extra caliper and rotor will just be heavier IMO. (Totally my opinion, not fact).

This bit I'm more sure about. :P To "get" it you need to know the difference between heat and temperature.

Motorbikes have two discs up front sometimes because stopping a bike from 200mph generates an amount of heat, let's call it X. Any brake will fade and stop working as well at a certain temperature, let's call it Y.

If you have two discs and two calipers, then the heat generated is split across the brakes, meaning that the temperature of each one is lower, reducing the chances of getting brake fade when braking hard. If you're braking hard from 200mph, and with one brake you experience brake fade at 60mph and it stops working, then stick two calipers and discs on, and it won't fade at all.

Trials bikes don't generate any heat really, so the force from your finger can go into one disc without overheating it, so two discs will just be heavier. It also makes the lever feel spongier, which is gay.

Edited by Muel

simply motor bikes have 2 discs to handle much greater heat from high speed slowing down.

trials bikes are much better going with larger discs and larger clipers. to get more power through a single caliper. as there are no problems handleing heat.

also some people do fit larger discs, which wont create the correct operating temp to cut fresh surfaces on the brake pads and you end up running a polished pad with no fresh pad serface to grip the rotor.

the best disc setups are genraly 185 rotors on hope or deore brakes, and you need to use them on a good downslope now and again to get them to there operating temp. if you dont you will need to sand down the pad surface every now and again and re bed them in.

simply motor bikes have 2 discs to handle much greater heat from high speed slowing down.

trials bikes are much better going with larger discs and larger clipers. to get more power through a single caliper. as there are no problems handleing heat.

also some people do fit larger discs, which wont create the correct operating temp to cut fresh surfaces on the brake pads and you end up running a polished pad with no fresh pad serface to grip the rotor.

the best disc setups are genraly 185 rotors on hope or deore brakes, and you need to use them on a good downslope now and again to get them to there operating temp. if you dont you will need to sand down the pad surface every now and again and re bed them in.

I disagree with most of what you just said :rolleyes: minus the first motorbike bit.

• Like 1

Okay so i'm not really saying you should have 2 brakes. 1 is fine but, I was looking through some buy/sell and looked at this. You could run a V/U and a maggy. But, sacrifice the front brake to compensate for the V/U brake lever or opposite.

CIMG0924.jpg

Would be okay for an experiment.

lol, this has dual disc.

I have seen prototype DH bikes with dual up front, never seen rear. Would be hard to get disc mounts either side.

But, again. This could be an idea:

p4pb7146809.jpg

Get a mount and disc rear hub and you could have 2.. would be pointless though :P

Edited by Echo-SL

But, again. This could be an idea:

p4pb7146809.jpg

Get a mount and disc rear hub and you could have 2.. would be pointless though :P

Ah haaaaa!

How it this ment to help your wheels in braking? Especially with the bike having a freewheel..........

Edit- :ermm::huh:

Edited by Rob Leech