Can't Get My Grind To Stay....

williams

I have grinded my rims 4 times, 3 of them were with a shitty disc, and the last one (did it today) was with a completely new thin metal cutting disc. I did grind it in a kinda flat angle, like a light grind. The point is: everytime I grind my wheel and go out riding, after about 10 minutes the grind is dead. What do I do wrong? I have a onza rim with RockMan blue pads.

one more question, after my grinds the pads doesn't sound anymore and the bite and hold aint there, help please?

cheers! :)

You should use a grinding disc really though : all of my cutting discs say 'NOT FOR GRINDING!'...

Cutting discs are better for grinding rims.NOT FOR GRINDING statement is there for safety reasons only because if you push down too hard it might break and at 10000rpm do some serious damage to your body...But when grinding rim,you don´t push it down at all,well at least you shouldn´t.

it doesent matter about the disc, i use a cutting disc and its fine.

the "not for grinding" means like, not for grinding welds smooth etc as the edge of the disc isn't bevelled and grinding discs are curved so they dont eat into the material you are trying to grind down too. (not a very good description but you should hopefully get the idea) doing a rim every now and then makes no difference if you use a cutting disc.

anyway, yeah its probably your rim.

grinds should go smooth(er) after a little bit of use obviously but you shouldnt lose braking power, unless the rim is made of low grade material which will wear down. i.e most viz rims as ive heard.

so yeah its probably your rim.

ahh ghostrider beat me to the punch (with a better explanation) as i was typing.

Edited by Carlperkins

it doesent matter about the disc, i use a cutting disc and its fine.

the "not for grinding" means like, not for grinding welds smooth etc as the edge of the disc isn't bevelled and grinding discs are curved so they dont eat into the material you are trying to grind down too. (not a very good description but you should hopefully get the idea) doing a rim every now and then makes no difference if you use a cutting disc.

anyway, yeah its probably your rim.

grinds should go smooth(er) after a little bit of use obviously but you shouldnt lose braking power, unless the rim is made of low grade material which will wear down. i.e most viz rims as ive heard.

so yeah its probably your rim.

ahh ghostrider beat me to the punch (with a better explanation) as i was typing.

haha yeah I got it, thanks for the help, well im not sure im very new to the "grinding" but after about 10 mins of riding the grind doesn't feel no where as good as it was after i grinded it, i don't know if this effects the performance to... ;)

haha yeah I got it, thanks for the help, well im not sure im very new to the "grinding" but after about 10 mins of riding the grind doesn't feel no where as good as it was after i grinded it, i don't know if this effects the performance to... ;)

It´s normal that it doesn´t feel the same on the fingers(pads smoothen the sharp metal shavings or whatever you call them of the rim),but it doesn´t affect the performance at all.

It´s normal that it doesn´t feel the same on the fingers(pads smoothen the sharp metal shavings or whatever you call them of the rim),but it doesn´t affect the performance at all.

oh I get it, but how do i know if the grind is dead then?

but for how long should a light grind last about?

oh I get it, but how do i know if the grind is dead then?

but for how long should a light grind last about?

It will be visibly smoother than new,so you should be able to see it without actually touching the rim.And to the second question,it depends on many factors,but average lifespan of a good grind is 1-2months(based on time spended on the bike)

Metal cutting discs are brilliant. Ive always managed a nice sharp grind at a 45° angle with almost no pressure being applied.

But pretty much any disc should be adequate. I never use my discs for more than two grinds. After that I find they dont give as much of a better grind.

a simple explanition is with ground rims you can ride down hills dragging the brakes.

try and just keep the use of the brake to stoping dead on trials riding.

i ground my rim quite heavily and the rode down from the roaches like i was on my dh bike

my grind was wrecked in 3 mins. and my pads nearly half gone

I'm also using rockman pads, and my grinds held for at least 3 or 4 rides, although it held, it never really had massive

Bite or sounded effective, although noise isn't everything, just doesn't feel as solid as my brake used to when I used to ride 5 years ago (just got back into trials)