Profile Racing Cranks On Onza Zoot Frame?

shansen

hello people

i have a set of questions that i would be greatfull to get some help with, im about to buy an onza zoot frame and i have profile racing cranks on my dmr street bike and wonder if i can use the cranks of it? will the bottom bracket fit and will the cranks clear the frame? also if i can use the cranks where do you get a small enough front sprocket to use for trials ive seen some bmx´s before with some really tiney sprockets on i need an 18t and also needs to fit a bash, ive been looking around abit but havent found anything that makes it posible.

any help is much appreciated thanks seb :)

It's possible:

You'd need a Euro BB compatible with the 48 spline floating spindle, Profile not so long ago released an updated outboard bearing Euro BB for durability. Then it's just a case of playing around with those silver washers to get the chainline right.

The smallest sprocket you can get on a regular mounted BMX crank is 23t IIRC. You could run a freehub on the rear like a Hope Pro II and have a suitable sized rear sprocket to get the ratio you want.

The only way you can get something like 18t sprockets on BMX cranks is if they have a second mounting hole closer to the splined interface of the crankarm. Most of these are flatland cranks which use micro-gearing. If your Profile cranks are the regular version with just one mounting hole you're limited to 23t and up!

^That's if you really want to stick with your Profiles, but I think if buying a new BB to fit the Zoot you might as well go for an ISIS drivetrain. They're comparatively a lot more affordable than most BMX cranksets! :)

You could do.

Buy a euro bmx bb i think Gusset do the cheapest on billies at like £18 or something out of memory profile cranks only come in 19mm so you should be sweet.

The smallest sprocket is 23 tooth as standard.

If i was running a 24" and wanted it to feel like bmx gearing i would run 25:12, so i'd probably try 23:12 or maybe a little bigger on the rear.

I'm using profiles with a 24t setup.

drivetrain001.jpg

Old DMR compact spider with a custom bash ring. You could run a 20t this way but you'd have to make a custom bash ring/spider combo to get the bash ring smaller. Don't know how you'd go about running an 18t with a bash ring.

Edited by Chris Borneo

Doesn't give much info like what size sprocket it will take but looks bang on. If I could run a smaller sprocket at the back I'd be tempted myself.

Profiles are, yeah.

May be worth looking at something like the DMR Cult cranks - they've got the micro-drive sprocket boss too so you can run a 22t sprocket without needing to go spline drive. Got a pair on my bike at the moment and they're really nice. That style of BB/crank just seems way stiffer and smoother than ISIS.

yeah, after running Shimano Hollowtech cranks and steel cranks I wouldn't want to go back to ISIS.

Myself and Mark have been running steel cranks for a bit now, Mark as he said has the micro drive style and I went for a splined drive setup (Tree sprocket). Neither of us run bashguards and it hasn't been much of an issue we have been mostly riding brakeless though so I guess that might mean we are less likely to slam down on our sprocket.