Bar Angle(Sweep,adjustment,...) And Wrists

FamilyBiker

just wondered about if anyone here had wrist injuries and saved himself some pain by changing his/her cockpit to another setup.if theres any way to get less pain from another setup i would change stem bars and so on.but not if theres no way.

advice welcome...

setup so far:stem 100x25°,bars 50mm rise up 10° back 5°,ground height 1010mm

thanks

I've experimented quite alot.

Maximise rise of the bars, stem and stackers, and you will get put more weight on your feet less on your wrists. Applies for shorter cockpits too.

If you rotate your bars forward you have to make sure you keep your elbows pointing horizontal, and not down at all, otherwise it increases stress through the top ulnar side. Rotating bars back, or increasing backsweep reduces stress on the thumb. Higher rise bars will reduce ulnar sided stress.

You can take loads of stress of your wrists just by rolling your elbows outward ridiculously. But I reckon if youve got wrist problems, go for at least 10 back 10 up. Try the trialtech high rise, theyre good.

I would also recommend experimenting with padding the end of your grips (fourth and little finger), so they are wider, it reduces the forces on the small wrist bones.

Also, rotating your brakes downward, will ease ulnar stress, and upward/horizontal will reduce thumb stress.

if i roll the bars back my bike doesnt feel trialsy enough.i come from dirt jump/street riding and never had problems with that,so you could be right with that luke.

my injury affects the discus radiocarpalis,a little fibrocartilage between the ulnar head and the medial wrist bones.post-30389-0-98825500-1332245527_thumb.j

should i go for a longer stem and roll´em back?

my brakes point pretty much to the floor right now,helped a bit.

elbows out = doesnt feel right.

i will not quit riding till i die so a solution is needed...lol

edit:bike has pretty much skye geo,but 365 chainstays.if that helps ergonomy-wise

Edited by FamilyBiker

Probally a longer/higher stem

or forks with uncut steerer...

i cant make my frontend much longer,skye geo with shorter rear end means the front is already pretty long.

should re-think my view of stacker towers,i think (A)

Edited by FamilyBiker

elbows out = doesnt feel right.

I can understand that it doesn't feel right, but I would urge you to try it for a few rides.

Elbows pointing down = TFCC stress, especially during moves that lift the front wheel. Elbows out = the stress across your triceps and lats which are huge and able to cope with the stress. Stick your elbows out as much as possible, it will help massively.