Drilling Tensile Cranks

fluffy1

Theres already cranks out with holes in them, and Ben Savage or some other rider completely hollowed his tryall cranks apart from the 'X' shape bit in the middle.

I'd say buy lighter cranks rather than drill them, but go for it if you're prepared to deal with the possible consequences of a nasty accident.

Edited by JMCD

But the Echo SL crank from ages ago were drilled and were fine?

They were designed to have the swizz cheese treatment so were most probably reinforced down either side especially, also they were probably not drilled, they could have been machined via water jet or what have you in this way, which, I'm pretty sure I heard, causes less stress.

They were designed to have the swizz cheese treatment so were most probably reinforced down either side especially. Also they were probably not drilled, they could have been machined via water jet or what have you in this way, which, I'm pretty sure I heard, causes less stress.

Edited by onza pro series guy

yea they are reinforced either side of the arms but still unsure. im already riding at the mo with a carst on as iv snaped 2 bones in my foot and dont fancy anymore....

There you go then, is it worth never being able to ride again due to leg/foot/ankle injury? For the sake of a couple of hundred grams.

If you're really obsessed with weight, buy alloy bolts for non stress areas, titanium bolts for the more crucial parts. There are always ways to make a bike lighter, but taking meat off your cranks is just stupid.

this is very true man and trials is my main and pretty much only hobbie id be screwd if i couldnt go riding :S cheers for the advice though guys it was just a thought and was'nt sure what to do. will start saving and buy some new goodies :)