Crank Problems

extremedougie

I recently bought a new frame so i'm in the process of transferring my old parts from my old frame to the new frame, i have stripped the whole bike down then came to the cranks, i went to take them off with the crank puller and they just wouldn't budge, i then tried the hammer method of bashing it slightly until they come off, they wouldn't budge again, does anybody know what is wrong with them?

Cheers!

He used crank puller,so I would say yes,he has.

There are a few crank bolts where you can still screw a puller in actually!

Iv seen some one do it before!

Any way back to the problem,

If they are Isis then depending on puller you may need to put the plug in fist then

Make sure you screw the outer core of the puller down tight with a spanner or you will strip the threads in the cranks.

Then just screw the centre part in, if they are super tight then you my need some extra leverage on the spanner etc, some wd40/ gt85 on the back of the cranks will help a bit.

They will come off just keep trying

I've got crank problems also. My bb is an echo isis press fit, my tryall 165mm cranks won't go all the way onto them, theres about 4mm space where the bb spacer can move which makes the bb slightly loose as it's press fit. My mate Jack has the same setup yet his cranks go straight on. Any idea what I should do? Also I should probably mention that on the driveside there's 4mm space also, but if it goes any further on, the freewheel will rub on the frame. :(

Your issue seems to be a case of putting extra effort/leverage into the crank tool.

I've got crank problems also. My bb is an echo isis press fit, my tryall 165mm cranks won't go all the way onto them, theres about 4mm space where the bb spacer can move which makes the bb slightly loose as it's press fit. My mate Jack has the same setup yet his cranks go straight on. Any idea what I should do? Also I should probably mention that on the driveside there's 4mm space also, but if it goes any further on, the freewheel will rub on the frame. :(

Your issue seems to be a case of putting extra effort/leverage into the crank tool.

It was the same for me just do them up as tight as you can with a well greased bolt and the gap closes up tight to the spacers no problem.

3 options really,

1. over tighten the crank bolts until the cranks hit the spacer. i personaly wouldnt do this

2.put some spacers on the bb axle to take the space up and risk the it snapping... but my mate has done this for about a year and no problems

3.live with the play

• Like 1