Building A 26" Street/trials Mountain Bike

hedleak

Hi, I've been lurking on the forum for a while now signed up to ask a question....

My work give me £40 a month for 'sporting activities' and I am considering gradually building a 26" street/trails mountain bike as I need to spend the cash each month rather than saving it and buying a complete bike. I'm 6'3 and used to mountain biking so am guessing 26" is the best way to go. Is this wise? Any advise? Any frame/parts recommendations?

Here's a bit of background:

I mountain bike a lot and have recently eneded up doing a fair bit of mucking about learning trials basics on my hardtail genesis core 40 but the frame means that the saddle won't go very low and I have the feeling it is knackering the bike a bit (I'm trying pedal kicks but hear that it could damage the bike as it isnt designed for breaking stress in those directions) and I might be better off gettting something specifically for trials stuff.

I might be better off gettting something specifically for trials stuff.

yeah deffinately give the MTB the heave-ho, it's much easier on a more specific bike :) I'd advise you to get a Hex ultimately but that might work out a bit pricey! Once you work out what bits to put on the wish-list don't comprise on your decisions otherwise you will never be satisfied with it.

Cheers guys. Yeah, not keen on going all out for something like the Onza T Pro, looking for 26" (or possibly 24") and some sort of saddle- a sort of mountain bike/street trials crossover, the Hex looks more like what I'm after.....small problem of the £400 frame price tag though!

I was thinking more along the lines of getting a small strong and light mountain bike frame that can get the saddle down low (like the 14" Trek 4500 Azonic DS-1 I have just seen on eBay) then gradually adding trials parts to it with my £40 per month budget. Bad idea? Are there any recommendations for cheap non-trials specific mountain bike frames that would work well for this for a 26" build? ....Im assuming that if I can find something strong, light, relatively small (considering I'm 6'3) and with geometry that can get the saddle out of the way then that would be a reasonable starting point?

Edited by hedleak

There's a Planet X Zebdi on ebay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4167ee26b0, Pashley http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a76edc232 and a proper oldskool Vario http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d2db0526 all of which will take a seat and are a better alternative than a small MTB or dual slalom/dirt jump frame.

I'd love a Vario, always wanted one years ago when I rode!

Nice one man, those seem just the thing.

Edited by hedleak

I've put in a bid for the Vario, collection only for the Pashley is putting me off that one (London to Tyne and Wear and back would take me a while and cost a few quid!), the Zebdi is looking tempting- available on buy it now for £29- but no bottom bracket is putting me off a bit (I see from this forum that it originally came with a middleburn RS7 ISIS 68x118 but they don't seem to be for sale anymore, I assume I can use any other ISIS 68x118 bottom brackets though...but £20-£50 extra cost).

If the Pashley is collection only ask if the seller would package it for you to arrange a courier yourself, you never know what they'll say and to be fair the Planet X was a superb frame if just a little heavy so well worth it!

If the Pashley is collection only ask if the seller would package it for you to arrange a courier yourself, you never know what they'll say and to be fair the Planet X was a superb frame if just a little heavy so well worth it!

Yeah, still 3 days on the Pashley so I'll keep an eye on it (guessing it'll go up a fair bit from the £50 start price seeing as it includes bottom bracket, forks, headset and handlebars). Going up to Scotland mountain biking in a few weeks so could make a detour for it.

My rough plan is to stick to the £40 per month free spending I get from work- so the planet x would fit that.....but things rarely go to plan!

trials dedicated gear is the best way to go, unless you've already got alot of trials-knowhow then the odds will be stacked against you, it is possible to ride an mtb for trials but it's hard and you'll progress very slowly. buidling a bike for dual purpose will be a nightmare too, i've considered doing this before, using a hammerschmidt crankset for instance would give trials clearance and geared bike performance, but it's heavier than the trials stuff and wouldn't be that great for getting around or effective trialing.. we used to ride mtbs for trials, but theres a reason no one does anymore...

The issue I can see is that you've got £40 a month after whatever purchase you make this time. I'd be amazed if you managed to find everything you need for under £40 a time, unless you're going to really scrimp in some places as well as learn to build wheels and whatnot...

Yeah, £40 a month might not happen, and might not be enough for the whole thing but I'm in no big rush so will see how far I get without spending too much over that each month. My main problem will be getting impatient and wanting it finished with shiney new parts!