Please Help Me With Progression

MONZA

ok so i have been doing trials for about 5-6 months now and can do some things. For instance i can hop on my back wheel up and down things by pedal kicking but they are not very high+ i havn't progressed very much in this time. please help.

Keep at it, you'll learn the technique and get more and more skilled. Alternatively the best thing to do is post a picture so we can see if your technique is tip top. :)

Edit: not a picture a video haha

Edited by JMCD

Ride with others, especially those who have the patience to tell you where you are going wrong, or how you could improve technique.

Avoid massive group rides though, it will only result in you not pushing youself.

I'd say riding with a group of like 3 people dramatically helped me this year without a doubt and i've been riding my best yet.

Get someone to film you doing something so you can see where you are going wrong (not pushing enough, bad technique)

Ride new stuff, ride different places. Find the source of why you aren't progressing then work on it !! :)

I have a mate who lives over the road, we both decided to get trials bikes,

we kitted out his garden with pallets, cable drums, pallet racking, beams, and rails

And rode everyday together, we pushed each other and learned new techniques from watching loads of videos,

but then i got stick in a stage where i didn't feel i could progress,

I got a new bike, then suddenly got a lot better, i met a load of mates off the forum and now ride all over the country..

Life story right there.

• Like 2

Yeah it's probably because you ride for yourself. I cant really push myself alone, and don't think it's that fun either. I mainly ride with 2-4 friends which only one of them are riding trials, the others are riding bmx. But we push ourselfs and have a blast really! Try filming too because it makes you want to do lines better! And ONLY ride for fun!

Post a video on here please!

I've been riding like 6 months too, here's my video:

thanks introducing me to mitis, love chilled shit like that, in big controversy about riding with others, i did 9 months of riding on my own, or the majority of time was on my own, and i progressed like a f**ker, that said i had the basics dialled and i was pretty driven... but at the start riding with a small group will make you a champ in no time, and making sure your bike is good, don't kid youself that noobs don't need anything special to ride with, high EP freewheels and savage brakes make better riders.

• Like 1

Your problem with not being able to get much height could be because you don't pre-load enough. I realised that i don't do that about a month a go and i've changed and i can go for things much bigger now. Riding with friends will be a great help though, it keeps you motivated and when you try to learn something and cant do it you can ask where you're going wrong and then you can sort it.

Your bike will affect your riding too, my bike was quite heavy when i got it and everything took so much more effort to do. I replaced the rear wheel and i could move that end of the bike around a lot easier after that so i would recommend making sure your bike is decent. Oh and the lack of engagements i had made things a lot harder too so i would recommend a decent freewheel/free hub.

The fact that you started with no bike trials foaundation skills to reaching the point where you can actually perform a few skills is in fact a form of progression. And don't get any ideas that riding alone hinders your progress, cause you only gotta look at how far Danny Macaskill has come as a rider when he had no one when he started.

Also find someone who will push you, up to the point where it almost becomes bullyed into doing a move. At the time you might think they are a bit of a Dick but when you finally get that new gap, drop, railgap you will be smiling for the best of the day believe me!

• Like 2

Also find someone who will push you, up to the point where it almost becomes bullyed into doing a move. At the time you might think they are a bit of a Dick but when you finally get that new gap, drop, railgap you will be smiling for the best of the day believe me!

Yeah, atleast 2 of my mates do this.

Also my mates dad, he comes watching us in the garden and if a say something is too scary he gives me a short jab to the rib

and tells me to do it or i get another one, usually helps haha.

get a routine, since i ride alone most of the time it keeps me focused, mine's like this: monday style: i go for being as smooth as possible (most important thing after a friend filmed me..oh god the horror!), tuesday height: pedal ups, sidehops as high as possible, wednesday technique on logs, thursday technique on rocks, friday long sections (and balance) and the weekend i just do whatever cuz i usually go for a ride downtown, although i try to learn new techniques like gapping to front or 360 drops.. just fun stuff!

(and yes i improved massively with that routine i made up)

get a routine, since i ride alone most of the time it keeps me focused, mine's like this: monday style: i go for being as smooth as possible (most important thing after a friend filmed me..oh god the horror!), tuesday height: pedal ups, sidehops as high as possible, wednesday technique on logs, thursday technique on rocks, friday long sections (and balance) and the weekend i just do whatever cuz i usually go for a ride downtown, although i try to learn new techniques like gapping to front or 360 drops.. just fun stuff!

(and yes i improved massively with that routine i made up)

Thats kinda gay, just ride your bike and enjoy doing it, progression takes time.