Roof Bars An Feet

Tom Booth

Alright guys, I'm in the market for a set of good roof bars an feet.

I've had a look around an spoke to a few people who really recommend Thule. I already had a preety good idea Thule where the daddys but its always good to ask around first.

Popped into halfords today to have a gander at some, seen a set of halfords own, all in £85 setup, was shocked when I picked up a set of Thule bars alone that weighed more then the halfords bars an feet!

I'm swaying towards a set of aero bars, seem to get better reviews when it comes to wind noise an affecting mpg, plus they look a shit load better then just black bars.

So yeah, Thule 861 bars an 757 feet, does anybody use these or have any experience with them? Or just any reviews on what you use personally would be good. What's drawing me to Thule other then reviews is the fact spares are available if anything gets damaged.

There to fit to my passat with roof rails, an must be able to carry bikes/2 kayaks, an lock.

Cheers chaps

:lol:

I wondered how long till I saw you Dave.

Heheh. Haven't had any dealings with roof bars but recently fitted the Thule Backpac system to our Bongo and it's really well put together and easy to fit. You obviously pay a bit of a premium for the quality (and name of course) but it's certainly a nice system.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for 961 bars, 757 feet and a 591 carrier in the end, really chuffed with the setup. Took a while tinkering but its fantastic. Easy to use an solid as hell, barely any damage to the mpg either or wind noise, chuffed to bits.

IMAG0556-1.jpg

Set-up looks good Tom. I'm always kind of tempted to sort out some bike carriers for the roof rack, but I'm thinking I might get a tow-bar mounted carrier instead, just for the reduced wind resistance while the bikes are on there.

On that subject does anyone know of any tow bar mounted carriers that don't use the 2 big bolts to mount to? My towing hitch is a factory swan-neck one and doesn't have the bolt of head, which looks like it means 99% of bike racks don't fit it.

Can see the hitch in this:

post-4312-0-29383400-1344373200_thumb.jp

I have already got a roof rack though (obviously having just posted that picture.) So I'd be tempted to look into some carriers for that. Although I may just make some if things slow up work wise anytime soon. (I'll soon be back up to having 4 bikes of my own, so moving them's getting more important, woops.)

For some reason I see bikes wobbling around on roof racks and it really puts me off. Looks like the bike would be damaged over longer distances. Surely with a big wagon you can just chuck the bikes in the back?

Robin to answer your question - my mate's got a very substantial Thule rack which clamps onto the actual ball. Clamps very securely and will take 3 bikes, plus you can lower it down to get into the boot if you need. It's expensive though - think it's about £300.

EDIT: This sort of thing. This isn't the actual one though. http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/Bike-Carriers/Towbar/Thule-EuroClassic-G6-LED-928#

Glad to know you can get them that just go on the ball. No way I could justify £300 though, and it'd need to be a 4 bike rack to justify any money really, you can very comfortably get 3 bikes and 3 people in the car with just front wheels off, so I couldn't really justify spending out for a 3 bike rack.

On the one hand I see what you're saying about putting them in big cars, definitely what I'd do with trails bikes, but after a muddy off-road ride it's nice to just strap them to the outside to save getting the car filthy. Like I say though, I'm not about to spend money unless it means I can take 4 bikes. Although both wheels out most bikes will fit in the Passats boot easily enough (with the seats up), so I guess a 3 bike carrier could mean 4 bikes 4 people anyway.

It is possible to chuck em in the passat, but it means ducking about with the seats an taking wheels off. Plus the mech hanger on my missus's bike got bent while they were in the back last time. Roofs mega easy too, keeps the much out my car too.

Tomm. Just seen that link you added to your post, thanks for that. I'd be kind of curious to see how they stop it rotating around the ball, might have to see if they've got one in stock at Halfords I could nose as, I doubt it though, and I don't know the manager anymore to get them to order one in without wanting to actually buy it haha.

As for putting bikes in the car, I find by far the best way is to fold the narrow seat down, whip the front wheel and seat out and slot the bikes in upright beside each other. You can get 3 bikes in really easily, and it leaves you with half the boot empty still for kit too. Kind of limited by height though, mine's fine with trials and jump bikes like that, but off-road bikes with long forks won't go unless you can adjust the travel down, which you can on mine, so good times. Not sure the roof's quite as high in the newer Passats though. Should still be able to get trials/jump bikes in like it though.

(PS, On-one Inbred right Tom? I've always have a soft spot for those.)

Just sold a set a few weeks ago that were for our landy (Thules). Damn easy to use, adjust and secure

Ive got another set for a car, but no idea what they're off :S But yeah, highly reccomend them. Check Ebay!