Bionic B5R Crank Rubbing "26"

trialskidy

My Trialtech Sport crank set is rubbing on my bionic b5r frame and brake cylinders "on non drive side" Was wondering if i need a new crank set or if i could just get another bottom bracket.

I am not sure if you can get longer and shorter bottom.

So if i have to get a new bottom bracket or crankset what is the cheapest thing i could go for " has to be ISIS".

Thanks

You're going to need to find out the length of your BB somehow.

For the few quid it'd cost you to pick up a crank extractor it's well worth having and would help solve this issue too.

Get an extractor (or borrow one if you're really that tight), whip the cranks off and measure the length of your BB axle. If it's any less than 128 then you'll be able to whack a longer one in there which will most likely fix your issue.

• Like 1

I can get the cranks of easily just have not got the bb tool, How would i measure the bb axle without taking the bb off?

EDIT: i measured it and it is 128mm

So guessing i need another crank set, any suggestion on any that will fit?

Edited by trialskidy

If it's only clipping on one side and the other side has plenty of room then the BB might be off centre. Measure the BB shell width and see if there is a spacer between the shell and the drive side BB cup. To try and avoid any confusion it's worth noting that the drive side cup has a flange on it but the non drive side does not (in some cases it goes into the shell by a couple of mm) so ensure that it is not the flange you are mistaking for a spacer.

adapt_spacer.jpg

P.S. Ignore the 'chain guide' bit.

Edited by Dan_Trials
  • Like 1

Also worth checking that your wheel is straight, as obviously an off-centre wheel (for whatever reason; could be a poor build or simply not sitting straight in the dropout) wil mean an uneven brake setup.

How much room do you have on the other side? If you've got room there and it's not simply down to the wheel sitting funny then you can usually get away with just dishing the wheel over a tad too (Y)

• Like 1

Also worth checking that your wheel is straight, as obviously an off-centre wheel (for whatever reason; could be a poor build or simply not sitting straight in the dropout) wil mean an uneven brake setup.

How much room do you have on the other side? If you've got room there and it's not simply down to the wheel sitting funny then you can usually get away with just dishing the wheel over a tad too (Y)

Yeah that's a good point, the BB and cranks might be fine, it could be some thing else that's off centre.