Anyone Fish?

Davetrials

Hey guys, i got my self some fishing gear yesterday and after spending along time on the phone to my friend, i finally cast out in search for some mackerel for dinner, but all i got was seaweed, seeing as i was guessing what the hell i was doing, im surprised i got that far. I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips for me?

For mackerel, I found little mackerel feathers like:

mackerel_feathers_1204.JPG

That works well. You have like 5 in a line about 10cm apart, with a small crush on lead weight so you can cast it.

High tide is better for mackerel if casting off the shore.

A nice calm walm evening will see them come into the shore chasing sprats. Look for where the seagulls are going nuts, thats usually were these little sprats are. You can often see mackerel bubbling / jumping on the surface.

You in Plymouth still? Maybe try that wall near the wet wok / fish resturant on the hoe, seems pretty popular with fishermen there.

Good luck!

amateurs.

back in 99 i went on a fishing trip to cape town, went out on the boat and saw a big fish, i thought it was a cod but i was wrong it was a great white and it was massive, got my 50 stack fishing rod( laser sight technology and the lot) i went to cast, waited 5minutes and BANG got my self a great white, what a beauty .

Edited by Rob.

Mackeral like it if you bob it up and down too...so its moving and shiny, about 2/3ft, just nice and gently.

They also don't go for the bottom, I've only been off boats/piers and they normally hang around 2m off the bottom.

Also, mackeral feathers are what you need.

Bit late to the party, but yeah.. mackerel feathers. If the mackerel are there, they'll eat them. I was thinking about going this weekend actually (first time in about 15 years). Top tip: if there are loads of fish about then you can just keep bringing them in, but there's no need to catch more than you're going to eat over the next day or two. They don't freeze too well and gutting/filleting 40 fish aint that much fun (been there!)

Never had any issues with freezing once home.

I guess I just have bad memories of having a plastic bag containing a frozen block of ancient whole mackerel hanging around in the freezer for months. It would probably have been more sensible to fillet each one and freeze individually, thinking about it!

a plastic bag containing a frozen block of ancient whole mackerel hanging around in the freezer for months.

Done this! Over 30 mackeral in two tesco bags, left Alderney for 6 months...came back to one hell of a mess.

So did you go, Dave?

I'm thinking about hiring a sea kayak thing and hanging a line over the edge some day soon. Probably one of those ideas that'll never happen but it sounds nice :)

We tried this the other week, sea was far too rough, rolled over all our kit sank.

Edited by Rich J

I used to fish for mackerel and caught plenty july - sep is best time i found and use a spinner not bate for sea fishing unless sandy area, for bait i used limpets and elks or sand worms was best use a led weight and then tie bait few feet up the line so it hangs high but defo spinners work for me

Edited by weebryan