Bike Diet.

williams

Cheers Sam! :)

Yeah it deffo did help me out, the bike felt so much more evened out and generally easier to throw about which made me ride a bit better I reckon.

And it annoys me when people say don't do that it will only save you so much. It all adds up, the weight saving. Do itttt.

Haha it was actually your bike that wanted to make me lighten my bike up more. As you've said in a previous post, if you save weight on different places sooner or later that "save" would be quite alot.

And since my bike now is quite heavy the first 500 grams should be easy:)

When asking a question on a forum expect controversial, differing opinions and answers. don't take people on the internet to seriously...

if your going to save weight i vote for saving as much as possible, like 2 or 3 kg by buying new parts and it might actually make a difference, but rawing frames and drilling holes, is silly.

Silly like you licking your face when you ride? :wink:

When asking a question on a forum expect controversial, differing opinions and answers. don't take people on the internet to seriously...

if your going to save weight i vote for saving as much as possible, like 2 or 3 kg by buying new parts and it might actually make a difference, but rawing frames and drilling holes, is silly.

Yeah I did, but I didn't wan't people to put supposed to be "funny" comments which is just unnecessary.

I've never said I where going to drill something? My main plan was to start with the tyres and wheels? Da hell..

And what's your big ass problem with me?

It fun too! Can be very satisfying when you achieve it too.

Decided Im going to go all out on my ride.

Ditching my Pro 2 for a lighter non disc alternative up front

Alloy nipples

Carbon bars

Try-All Superlight pedals with Ti Spindles

Ti Vee posts

Ti magura fittings throughout

Ti bolts, everywhere

Ti rear sprocket.

Ti Bashring.

Tyres and tubes are light enough already, frames not bad, and forks are okay too.

Currently at 8.9 without changes. See how much I can save.

• Like 1

It fun too! Can be very satisfying when you achieve it too.

Decided Im going to go all out on my ride.

Ditching my Pro 2 for a lighter non disc alternative up front

Alloy nipples

Carbon bars

Try-All Superlight pedals with Ti Spindles

Ti Vee posts

Ti magura fittings throughout

Ti bolts, everywhere

Ti rear sprocket.

Ti Bashring.

Tyres and tubes are light enough already, frames not bad, and forks are okay too.

Currently at 8.9 without changes. See how much I can save.

That would probably save a fair ammount of weight! :)

The things I will do:

Get a smaller lighter rotor for the rear. Currently have a 180 heavy one, going for 160.

Lightweight tubes.

Cut of knobbles. OR get new tyres.

lighter bolts.

Eventually new lighter front disc hub.

New BB.

New back brake.

Just why not? Fun to do and makes the bike easier to flick around:

Edited by williams
  • Like 1

That would probably save a fair ammount of weight! :)

The things I will do:

Get a smaller lighter rotor for the rear. Currently have a 180 heavy one, going for 160.

Lightweight tubes.

Cut of knobbles. OR get new tyres.

lighter bolts.

Eventually new lighter front disc hub.

New BB.

New back brake.

Just why not? Fun to do and makes the bike easier to flick around:

Sized rotors you running? If your going to be running Saints you'll only need 160s!

New tyres would be a good bet, Try-Alls are brilliant and are properly light!

Bolts are a nice way of shedding weight, and new bolts look aceee.

Try-All Bottom Bracket!

Will shift a decent amount of weight.

Sized rotors you running? If your going to be running Saints you'll only need 160s!

New tyres would be a good bet, Try-Alls are brilliant and are properly light!

Bolts are a nice way of shedding weight, and new bolts look aceee.

Try-All Bottom Bracket!

Will shift a decent amount of weight.

I run 180's now :) Might change the front brake to a 160mm formula r1 since i get them free. (currently have a 180mm bb7-ish copy)

Yeah it would deffo shed weight and improve grip.

Would mostly change bolts for the looks, the new titanium bolt on tarty looks sexyyyyy!

Probably a 500-800 gram difference!

Thats what i thought at the £25 crank bolts. The bolts seam reasonably priced though .

Ah, the crank bolts were included in that price too.

Id LOVE to have all that kit on it though. Would be insanely light!

Could even whack in an Echo Urban Ti BB too, but thats only getting done when mines buggered, or when I have the monez....

What does the copper grease do? I've been looking at this thread for a few tips.

I think it stops the Ti cold welding itself to the alloy I think... dont hold me to that, Its either alloy or steel it does it to.

If Im right, and it does cold weld itself to the alloy, you'll have a hell of a job getting that sucker out.

That and it means you can nip up your bolts that little bit tighter with the grease lubing it all up and lowering the friction between threads.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

I think it stops the Ti cold welding itself to the alloy I think... dont hold me to that, Its either alloy or steel it does it to.

If Im right, and it does cold weld itself to the alloy, you'll have a hell of a job getting that sucker out.

That and it means you can nip up your bolts that little bit tighter with the grease lubing it all up and lowering the friction between threads.

Cold fusion! i've had it between ally and ally. You can also get cross-metal corrosion/fusion.

• Like 1

Yeah I did, but I didn't wan't people to put supposed to be "funny" comments which is just unnecessary.

I've never said I where going to drill something? My main plan was to start with the tyres and wheels? Da hell..

And what's your big ass problem with me?

ignore unnecessary comments?

I never said you said you were going to drill your frame, i'm just telling you not to, as some others mentioned it.

haha, i don't have a problem with anyone? especially when i've only met them over the internet, that's pretty pathetic.you seem to be the one with the problem.

As i previously said, do not take anything that people say over the internet seriously, most of the time tone of voice does not come across well in writing?

Ive just priced up 3 barbed fittings, one shroud nut, vee posts and pedal spindles and its £119.00 :( Ouch.

Be doing it over time me thinks hahaha

that is an incredible price, you actually going to go for it? considering you can only just see the rainbow titanium colour on the heads of the bolts?

Silly like you licking your face when you ride? :wink:

No, silly like my head bobbing action.

that is an incredible price, you actually going to go for it? considering you can only just see the rainbow titanium colour on the heads of the bolts?

Over time, maybe. Certainly not all in one go. Its small details that make a big difference. Both in looks and weight.

My past few rides have been sheds. I'd like my 24" exactly how I want it.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Single walling rims is actually pretty decent. I had the Try-All Reinforced rim on the back of my Purple Sky, and by single walling it I saved a reasonable amount of weight but the way it increases the volume of your rear tyre makes a difference too. Saving rim/tyre weight is always a good shout though as you'll notice it more there.

If you ride natural, trimming the tread can make a big difference too in terms of clearing mud. I had an Eagle Claw rear tyre on my mod, and by cutting the 2nd and 4th knobbles out of the rows of 5 knobbles it saved a decent amount of weight and meant it cleared much faster too.