Is This A Decent Choice For A Helmet ?

ClarkeHutchison

As the title says, i am thinking about getting the giro flak 2012 helmet. I am looking for pisspot type helmet that is light and not to sweaty. I would also like it to be as low profile as possible.

The giro faction :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69984

If you have used this helmet before or have any other types you can recommend that would be great.

Thanks

Its not the best, but at the end of the day it's a helmet and it's good you wear one regardless of the style etc.

I have used a TGS bmx helmet for bmxing (and mountain biking when younger). Its a really good helmet and I'd buy another one if it ever breaks, mines 4 years old going strong.

But for trials I'd recommend a giro hex.

ive used a giro xen before, was a great helmet, but it got battered from me riding like a twat. now have the 661 recon helmet and i am very very impressed by it, much more comfortable than the giro, looks better too and still offers the lower head protection a pisspot would

I prefer the flak type of helmet because it protects the back of your head and i find it comfier although it might be heavier.

The main reason people wear MTB helmets for trials is because the outer shell isn't rock solid like BMX helmets (which isn't always that good as it doesn't take impact as well), and it's more ventilated with the majority of them offering adjustable straps for the back of your head. But also the way it's designed means that it's better at taking impacts (due to it's design and how it takes impact), although you'll usually need a new helmet after a bad hit on a trials bike to get the full protection that it offers.

• Like 1

I had a Flak for four years. Really really good. Took a lot of hits.

Covers a lot more of the head than others.

It finally died a few weeks ago. Replaced it with the £25 661 one, and it feels like it doesn't come down the back of the head nearly enough.

Can't fault the Flak. Cheap, good coverage, long lasting, keeps you alive.

Haha.

• Like 1

i use poc helmets although pricey very comfy and i feel safe.

i use a ski lid during winter as they have ear muffs intergrated

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=53129&categoryID=8306

then during summer i use the poc trabec race as its light and vented well but stong as hell.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=54781&categoryID=1096

• Like 2

I wear a "Piss Pot" style lid as i dont like XC/AM lids, ive got this:

http://www.racespec....Helmet_Wht.html

Its a lot nicer shape then some of the other more rounded bulb shape skate lids, and its incredibly light and comfy. looks good to IMO

I am really considering getting that, does it fit your head closely ?

I am really considering getting that, does it fit your head closely ?

yeah it dosent have the 3 inch thick padding like most skate lids so it dosent sit out three feet from the side of your head lol, great lids mate seariously :)

google some images i think theres a couple with people wearing them so you be able to see what i mean

Edited by Doddsy2801

The TSG superlight helmet arrived this morning, when i took it out of the box i was amazed by how light it was. It fits very snug and low on my head. The fiting is that good that i can wear it without the strap tied and i shake my head about and it stays on perfect. I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet but you can hardly feel it on your head when wearing it because of the lightness and comfort. It also comes with different sized pads to get a perfect fit.

If you are wondering what helmet to buy this is the one. (Y)