Need Help Choosing A Stock Frame

miketrials1995

what moves does a high bb make better or worse for

Sidehops, for the most part, just makes you planted on the back wheel, less need for corrective hops as the body position is more upright and the bike is more vertical. It also helps for setup on gaps, as you can be a bit more precise with wheel placement, as there is less need for your muscles to keep the bike upright, and more power can go into preloading for the actual move itself. Taps are kind of odd to do, but as you will see, it can be overcome, as demonstrated by many riders.

on the other hand, a high bb for me was/is way harder to sidehop. you have to jump higher than you would with a lower bb (because the back wheel is lower compared with the cranks). I sidehopped my highest on a +10bb simtra (52") yet when I got a +45bb frame, I couldn't do bar height.

I also found higher bb harder to land gaps as the back wheel is more "ahead" of you when landing which puts your whole body weight back. I always landed the gap, then fell over backwards with a high bb. Same with hooks and taps.

Saying that, I am a little old school and always liked rolling about instead of being on the back wheel and I never wanted to put in the time to learn to ride a high bb frame as I just didn't like that style of riding.

+35mm is about as high as I would go on a stock, gives the best compromise I think.

on the other hand, a high bb for me was/is way harder to sidehop. you have to jump higher than you would with a lower bb (because the back wheel is lower compared with the cranks). I sidehopped my highest on a +10bb simtra (52") yet when I got a +45bb frame, I couldn't do bar height.

I also found higher bb harder to land gaps as the back wheel is more "ahead" of you when landing which puts your whole body weight back. I always landed the gap, then fell over backwards with a high bb. Same with hooks and taps.

Saying that, I am a little old school and always liked rolling about instead of being on the back wheel and I never wanted to put in the time to learn to ride a high bb frame as I just didn't like that style of riding.

+35mm is about as high as I would go on a stock, gives the best compromise I think.

Agree with all of this. Although I now ride a +55 as I only really ride natural these days and its great.