Frame Jig

CalRobbo341

How do I go about making one?

I have had a browse @ Jaf's and it looks pretty basic/simple. Something to clamp the headtube in, something to clamp the bottom bracket in and something to bolt the rear axles in.

But it must get technial somewhere, with making a custom geometry?

I understand it like you will need something just a tad bigger than the headtube outer diameter, same with the bottom bracket and then just a standard 116/135 axle to clamp the ddropouts. Then have the headtube holder on an axle to allow it to spin to the correct angle that you want it at, then the same with tht bottom bracket, but on a vertical slider?

Can someone give me a hand? I have access to a workshop and tools and there is quite alot of scrap steel around work so i'm sure they won't mind be stealing it off them.

Excuse the poor paint drawing..

Someone perhaps give me a hand?

post-30770-0-56155700-1351878982_thumb.j

If you don't understand quite how technical it is, you probably shouldn't be considering building frames.

If it's something you want to have a serious go at, though, get on over to one of the many framebuilding forums (frameforum.org, for example) and read up for a few weeks before gettign stuck in (Y)

• Like 1

Josh posted some pics when he made it a few years ago that kind of shows the adjustability. Will try and find the posts!

EDIT: Here's the original thread with his jig but the pics aren't working for me. Could be cause I'm on at work though and they block a lot of content automatically!

Damn, the pictures arent working!

Just the thing I need really

If you don't understand quite how technical it is, you probably shouldn't be considering building frames.

If it's something you want to have a serious go at, though, get on over to one of the many framebuilding forums (frameforum.org, for example) and read up for a few weeks before gettign stuck in (Y)

It is, but I just didn't know how technical? If that makes sense which it probably doesn't.

How do,

the best thing you can do is to make your first jig for one frame, this way you'll understand what measurements affect what and just where to start, will help you out massively in the long run (Y).

My current jig is just about as simple as it gets (and is trials specific frame wise) as thats all I had access to at the time.

If your properly serious about wanting to make a fully adjustable jig, I'd look at this - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d03f959d4 Easy to machine, you wont have any problems keeping things square, bolts up easily (Y) It's what my next jig is going to be made out of once I get the funds together.

If you'd like a hand with it, I can always send some drawings across to you, or even some more detailed pics of when I made it :).

Cheers buddy,

Josh.

EDIT- Just looked at the drawing you've done, you also have to be able to move the headtube along the jig horizontally aswell as vertically (Y).

Edited by Rob Leech

How do,

the best thing you can do is to make your first jig for one frame, this way you'll understand what measurements affect what and just where to start, will help you out massively in the long run (Y).

My current jig is just about as simple as it gets (and is trials specific frame wise) as thats all I had access to at the time.

If your properly serious about wanting to make a fully adjustable jig, I'd look at this - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d03f959d4 Easy to machine, you wont have any problems keeping things square, bolts up easily (Y) It's what my next jig is going to be made out of once I get the funds together.

If you'd like a hand with it, I can always send some drawings across to you, or even some more detailed pics of when I made it :).

Cheers buddy,

Josh.

EDIT- Just looked at the drawing you've done, you also have to be able to move the headtube along the jig horizontally aswell as vertically (Y).

Ahh yes, forgot about having to adjust the reach and top/bottom tube length, haha. I don't really understand that link on ebay? Some drawings would be ideal!

I do have a frame lying around, has a BB in atm so will strip that out tomorrow. It makes sense to build the jig around the frame, I'm sure I could modify it to be able to adjust?

The jig will most likely be steel, there is a lot of un used steel around on site, and when it comes to a frame it will also be steel, maybe in the future ally, but the other day we had a bit of ally that needed welding, I gave it to the welder to do as I had to something, went back to look at what he had done, and it had pulled like crazy, steel pulls but ally oh my god, at the stage I am at, I don't think I would risk it!

there's an absurd amount of maths that goes into making a frame, make sure all your jig measurements are spot-on otherwise anything you make using it will be wonky. as with anything you make measure, measure, measure, untill your sick of measuring and measure it again. i'd have a go at making all sorts if i had the tooling to do-so, good luck with the project dude :)

• Like 1

http://jigdrawingquick.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats pretty much the jig i'm using atm, simple to make and use. I'm not going to give you the measurements though. This is something you'll need to have thought about yourself to fully understand how the jig will work (Y).

I'll gladly point you in the right direction if your having trouble with it :). Just remember, shortest to longest and smallest to tallest (if thats a word :P) (Y).

Cheers buddy,

Josh.

Edited by Rob Leech

Josh posted some pics when he made it a few years ago that kind of shows the adjust-ability. Will try and find the posts!

EDIT: Here's the original thread with his jig but the pics aren't working for me. Could be cause I'm on at work though and they block a lot of content automatically!

Its not only you who cant see the pics :)

I think for a jig you would need a piece of steel or whatever you can obtain (150mm high - 1200mm long - 15cm wide), spare set of forks and headset, studing,and some nuts.

You would need to cut 2 long slots with a gap smaller than 110mm inbetween at the back with a recess on the under side so a nut can sit flush underneath. Again at the front instead with a gap no wider than 90mm. Use the studding to make a shape that resembles a box with one of the longer side missing and secure it all into place in the slots with a nut on the bottom and top to hod it into position. Do this front and back with the correct axle measurements You can adjust the axle width by adjusting the nuts on the longer side to the correct width. Bottom bracket will be held into place with studding with the same principle another slot in the middle of the piece of steel and position and hold it all in place with a nit on the top and bottom. Drill a hoe through the bb shell and slide it down the piece of studding to the correct bb height then secure with a nut on the bottom. To gain the head angle is what in struggling with but i think if you do the same as above with the axles but to the dimensions of a front hub and hold it in the correct position again with a nut on the top and bottom and attach the forks using a nut on either side of the dropouts inside and out and use the hold headset in the headtube to hice a snug fit on the forks steerer. To keep the correct angle i would drill another slot to secure another piece of rodding with another attached on top in a T shape to hold the forks at the correct angle (closer to the axle steeper the angle further away slacker the angle).

EDIT - Beaten by Josh but if i were you i would use his as it is proven and simpler

Edited by bike_dummie

img2209u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats how I set the headangle (Y) It's a digital bevell box used for setting angles of saw blades/milling cutters, ect. Pretty good bit of kit, just zero it off the base of the jig and your away :).

Can also see the bolting system for securing the headtube.

Edited by Rob Leech
  • Like 1

Kind of like just a set of forks/headset/top cap kind of thing, nice!

I think I will need access to a milling machine, i'm sure we have one, yet I don't know if it works, also have one in college but only there 1 day a week :/

This may take a while and some planning, best get too it!

Kind of like just a set of forks/headset/top cap kind of thing, nice!

I think I will need access to a milling machine, i'm sure we have one, yet I don't know if it works, also have one in college but only there 1 day a week :/

This may take a while and some planning, best get too it!

Yeah, two cones would do the job just fine (Y).

You'll need a mill and a lathe to make something similar to mine :).

I guess for some stages I could do chain drilling, won't look as tidy, will take longer, but in the end I will probably need a milling machine, haha.

Will do it in small stages, i'm not in any rush, and I am quite busy (work and social) so will report back with drawings, pictures, anything really ect!

If it's a mod frame you've got I've got some spare forks you could have for a small fee and could probably find a topcap

Echo SL ones? Will probably do the job :)