Music When Riding

showurcolours

So basically, I'm a massive fan of music - writing all my likes would consumed most of the post - and I'm also a trials noob,

so I was wondering if anyone listens to music when they ride? and if you do, what do you listen to?

I know that music is a personal preference and we're not all gonna like the same stuff - I'm more interested in seeing if it's fast tempo music (like DnB, dubstep, rock ect) or slower, more chilled out?

I have an interesting theory that the faster music could motivate you to do larger gaps and drops and that slower music could be better for the more technical stuff, just a theory though :)

I don't always like riding with music in, not sure why I just seem to wash out. It's a nice way of totally escaping the world though, but when you're riding with other people you don't want to escape the world.

As for genres anything from metal to drum and bass to folky/acoustic stuff works pretty well

As for genres anything from metal to drum and bass to folky/acoustic stuff works pretty well

Yeh I get that, I won't be all the time and obviously I feel like I should warn all the kids down there that riding a bike next to traffic with headphones in is probably dangerous :giggle:

Seems like you have a varied taste like myself, does the music you choose to listen to fit into my 'hypothesis', out of interest?

When I ride with music I find that it gives me a headache... And that I listen to the first song or two then the next ten or so seem to just disappear (due to being focused on riding) then I'll hear the music again and be like 'oh I was listening to music?' haha.

I find that riding without my hearing aids is when I'm at my most focused (I'm deaf), but I need them to hear haha.

Yeh I get that, I won't be all the time and obviously I feel like I should warn all the kids down there that riding a bike next to traffic with headphones in is probably dangerous :giggle:

Seems like you have a varied taste like myself, does the music you choose to listen to fit into my 'hypothesis', out of interest?

yeah i'd say sort of more angry style music makes me just want to lug myself off and up stuff, not really caring if I get hurt.

Where as more chilled music makes me focus on my style and riding smooth

• Like 1

When I ride with music I find that it gives me a headache... And that I listen to the first song or two then the next ten or so seem to just disappear (due to being focused on riding) then I'll hear the music again and be like 'oh I was listening to music?' haha.

I find that riding without my hearing aids is when I'm at my most focused (I'm deaf), but I need them to hear haha.

Ah shit, yeah I used to get that 'blur' when I was running, it does get hard to concentrate to be honest. I totally get that actually, I guess without any distractions (as with no hearing aids) then you can properly focus, does it not have an affect on your balance though (if you don't mind me asking)

yeah i'd say sort of more angry style music makes me just want to lug myself off and up stuff, not really caring if I get hurt.

Where as more chilled music makes me focus on my style and riding smooth

Ahh awesome, pretty much confirms it (in the most unscientific way possible) but yeah, I thought that may be the case!

I made a ride playlist on my phone but not sure if I'll end up using it when actually riding haha

• Like 1

Ah shit, yeah I used to get that 'blur' when I was running, it does get hard to concentrate to be honest. I totally get that actually, I guess without any distractions (as with no hearing aids) then you can properly focus, does it not have an affect on your balance though (if you don't mind me asking)

Good to know other people experience that 'blur' as well then, I tend to get a small headache after listening for too long as well.

I have actually found that riding without my hearing aids affected my balance marginally, it was really weird haha. I don't get how I can balance better when I can hear what is going on around me...

I don't get how I can balance better when I can hear what is going on around me...

Hearing is integral for balance and proprioception (basically a posh word to describe our judgement of where we are in space and time)

I've had blocked ears before and have been the most 'wonkiest' person ever, literally couldn't stand up without tripping over something

It's good you've adapted to ride with and without the hearing aids though - especially with only a marginal difference (Y)

• Like 1

today I was listening to music while riding, started off with rammstien and ended with a drum and bass album.

Really helped me stay out longer (I was on my own and normally can't last longer than 20minutes or so. but i'm sure I was out for over an hour.

• Like 1

I cant ride or even walk with music in, i seem just to focus solely on the music and then realise i haven't bothered to breath of all things and think about it which leads to me messing up my breathing (No idea why). If i ride im usually with a group or another person so i'd rather be sociable anyway.

• Like 1

I cant ride or even walk with music in, i seem just to focus solely on the music and then realise i haven't bothered to breath of all things and think about it which leads to me messing up my breathing (No idea why). If i ride im usually with a group or another person so i'd rather be sociable anyway.

You must get pretty immersed in the music then :blues: