Chris King Spring Idea

Azarathal

Heya guys, so everyone knows about stretching the spring on a Chris King hub and how it makes it slightly louder, less prone to skipping (if done correctly) and also have a crisper feel to the engagements. I recently modded a Nerf gun for a friend of mine and rather than stretch the spring behind the air chamber I used 4x 1p coins to add more spring tension.

This got me thinking, behind the spring there is a spring retention ring, could I use multiple retention rings / have a 1.5-2mm space made up to go behind the ring and replicate the effect or stretching the spring but without the risk of deforming the spring (Deforming it means the drive/driven rings wont sit in the spring properly causing it to skip).

Thoughts?

Stretching the spring in a King is actualy a REALLY bad idea, I can't remember exactly the reason why (Hopefully someone from tartybikes will chime in) but I remember my first King had a stretched spring and it tried to kill me on more than one occasion, I replaced it with a new spring and it was spot on for years!!

Adam

could I use multiple retention rings

No. But you could make something to do the same job by spacing out the drive ring. Not that it would be recommended.

When you stretch a spring if youre not careful you increase the diameter causing it to bind against the hub shell. If youre very careful and twist it inwards the diameter stays the same or decreases negating this problem.

Yep, but nobody seems to do that correctly...!

I was just thinking it would stop a lot of stretched spring related damage and skips whilst still giving the bonus'.

Wouldn't it be better if people stopped trying to needlessly modify one of the best and the most expensive rear hubs on the market ?

No it wouldn't manuel, if it caused irreversible damage 100% of the time then yes, I'd recommend to leave them alone but that isn't the case, you can safely stretch a spring with positive benefits.

I don't really understand the benefits in that case, the hub is either engaging or it isn't ? The way I understood the king engages means unless its skipping a tooth or two which you would know about means there isn't really any other benefit other than noise ?

I don't really understand the benefits in that case, the hub is either engaging or it isn't ? The way I understood the king engages means unless its skipping a tooth or two which you would know about means there isn't really any other benefit other than noise ?

With a higher tension spring you can use thicker grease which will still allow full engagement but lower the rolling resistance. Also the temperature range which the hub is used at will be increased.

Not really trials related but heh