Backhop Turns

Theo Sanders

Hi everyone,

After learning how to backhop for as long as I want I decided to move on to backhop turns. It took me a couple of days and now I manage, but I can't really turn not jumping around so it takes quite a lot of space for me to do a full turn, even if I try and do small hops.

What should I work on to improve the situation?

1. Sit down on a chair

2. Stick your arms out infront of you in an imaginary bar-holding position

3. Imagine you are Baloo from Jungle Book trying to scratch your back on a tree. Use that booty of yours, too.

Feel that side to side jiggle? Thats sorta what it feels like when you hop round on a tight circle.

• Like 2

i have this problem too.seeing the pros turn by obviously kicking the drivetrain instead of hopping doesnt make it easier to understand at all...

hows that done then?

Well if you kick when you do it you can get further round quicker.

If you turn your head your body generally follows

- Stand up

- Jump

You don't twist

This time when you jump, throw just your head round, your body will follow... simples. Your head always twists the way your going before you go.... My tip of the day: Always look where you want to go.

Edited by Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

For stationary backhopping in circles both directions are extremely useful for obvious reasons, I don't think it's that much easier one direction or the other.

But for 180 hops for some reason I've found that when doing stationary pedal kick 180s (traditional trials style) it's easier to go the direction of the front pedal. I think that kick leans the bike that direction.

However, for rolling 180 bunnyhops (ala BMX) the norm is to rotate in the direction of the back pedal. No pedal kicking involved. So left foot forward BMXers/street riders usually go clockwise and vice versa for right foot forward.

That being said it's very possible to learn both directions for all types of spinning hops and a practical skill at that! I need to practise more.

• Like 1