Low rolling resistance tyre

sfboy

So after hiring a bike abroad I've realised my XC tyres are killing any momentum I have. I'm kicking myself for remembering what the types were.

So can anyone recommend a set of tyres that roll nicely bit still have grip where needed? Also, I've always run the same type front and rear would I be better running a mix?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was gonna say, you don't want DMR Motos or Holy Rollers for cross country use, especially not in this weather. They're for DJ or BMX track stuff.

All year round - High Rollers. They're not super-fast but they're a decent compromise

A Maxxis Larsen TT is a pretty decent summer tyre with enough grip for off road use in the dry

I'm sure there are plenty of others though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I dug out some pictures of an XC bike I had hired a while back that had a set of Specialized Fast Traks that I remember feeling quite nice. As Jardo had given them a nod too, I went and got myself a pair.

Admittedly, not the best time of the year to trial this sort of thing, but on the road I feel the wheels actually want go round now and the bike feels about 20% quicker. Makes such a change from the Swamp Things I had on there before which were like riding with the brakes on.

I also got myself a set of IRC Kujo DH that were on clearance, they remain (to my mind anyway) the best all round tyre. I'm gonna see how I get on with the Fast Traks, but have the Kujos ready to pop on as and when the need arises.