Somehow got another cycling project for uni :D

A.Baxter

Basically guys i was wanting to ask a few questions and see if many of you commute to work by bike (obviously not trials) but still cycling so help me out ??

We have a live design brief with Oakley it also happens to be a design competition too so the more help the better.

'Creative Challenge

Oakley has identified an opportunity to take a leadership position in ‘everyday cycling performance’. They want to bridge the gap between style and function with a range of cycling apparel / accessory products.'

Basically, the daily commuters out there, how many of you use your bike everyday no matter what the weather is ? and how many of you shy away when the weathers bad and either drive or take public transport ?

What are you cycling routines ? (if you have one) and what are your journeys like?

In commuting do you take performance parts and accessories to be a main priority, or is it not so important to you ?

Do you believe there is any unmet areas of products and accessories that need to be dealt with ?

Finally, for finished products would you rather they looked more fashionable but worked like performance wear, or would you prefer the products to look more 'sporty' ? (as Oakley do a 'lifestyle' range and 'sports' range)

Oakley are all about things that work but also want the products to look great, and they are also into using fancy weird materials too so if anybody has any suggestions on anything like that as well that would be great!

Thanks very much guys, and cheers for reading. Hopefully some of you might be interested and would like to help a fellow trials-forum member :)

Adam.

i ride to work everyday of the year on my 26" trials spec(ish) DDG shooter, 20t frt cog, rigid forks etc

the journey is 8 miles each way and takes about an hour each way

i put lights on in the winter and take them off in the summer,

and hop on things as i go buy them, specially on the way home :D

im not really botherd about other stuf apart from a seat, gears for the hills and lights so lazy car drivers can see me

(but sometimes dont work as ive bin knocked off it before :( )

Edited by stunt man t

I use my road bike for work, it's a 2013 moda intro with Mavic aksium race wheels. go to work on it if it's dry, and do various distance rides with my old man. on a proper ride, I maybe do 10-20 miles

Cheers for the replies guys. Hate to hear the fact you've been knocked off before even with lights on. Is there any areas of the clothing or accessory market that you think need developing further, or is there an area that may have potential for a new product?

Thanks for looking in guys :)

Adam.

haha not bad, maybe already exists, worth looking into though.

Is there any problems any of you have to deal with every time or almost every time you take a journey out that needs to be overcome in some way ?

Adam.

cool project..as an industrial designer myself, i have many bike ideas flouting around.

any way..is the project a sunglasses? or sports wear,or anything you wont it to be?

i live in a very hot place, and "on many mountains city" (hope i explained it right)

so i keep bike ridding only as a hobby.. i don't want to come all sweaty to work.

i ride trials and xc.. but i grow up from all the lycra clothing. so i go riding in the woods the same "bmx urban style" i ride trials with, like normal jeans, t shirts and silly blues brothers sunglasses

i hate when designers decide whats a "sporty wear" or "sporty look"

theres loads of products out there to keep you warm..

heated grips, heated seat face buffs, gloves yada-you.

is there anything out there to keep you cool and stink free??.. people i know who ride to work have to get there early and take a bloody shower!

this may be something to mull over.. just sayin.

and if it does take off and you become a millionaire.. i want a 10% cut. ;)

Oh great to know theres some more product designers on here :) We have been told to make 'softwearing' products such as clothing, backpacks etc so not really supposed to be doing sunglasses or helmets or shoes etc. I didn't want to specify this straight off however as it could have limited any ideas that people could come up with.

So if there was a way for you to ride your bike in the hot conditions without getting all sweaty such as on the way to work this is a product you would be interested in ? I suppose that can then also project ideas towards countries more like mine in the UK too but for get rained on haha keep people dryer than what is able at the moment possibly. You say you hate it when a designer decides what is sporty or not, so do you suggest I don't put a 'look' on it and just design for the overall market not just a sporty or casual look ?

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming :)

Adam.

Thanks Carl yeah i've been thinking about that kind of thing now as was suggested about in hot countries i can see it being a problem here to even with our shocking weather haha, I'll do my best to explore this area, will see what my tutors think too.

Cheers guys :)

Adam.

My idea came from the guy that got knocked off his bike, what about a cool and more fashionable high viz jacket/ coat made from a special material like you said you wanted it to be, and put a twist on it like reversable so high viz for night and normal for day. But I also thought jip off arms for summer.

Yes, a fashionable high viz coat.

You could use a standard colour like green or blue that's not fluorescent, but you could make cool patterns with the reflective stuff.

If someone made one, at a sensible price, I'd have it.

Even the right pattern with the reflective stuff might be cool with fluoro yellow. What about a jacket that's yellow, with the patterns from a wasp on the back of it?

Oh, and it has to be properly waterproof. Those are the key things!

Check out some of Levis commuter range they do , ive got a pair of the jeans and have to say im very happy with them http://eu.levi.com/en_GB/commuter

Also Rapha , its very expensive but may give you an idea of what is already on the market of causal technical ware http://www.rapha.cc/

Hope these help .

I ride a 7 mile commute each day , from my home town to central Milton Keynes , mainly through estates and red ways to avoid as much road as possible since my run in with a car .

I ride a Genesis Day one disc with a flat bar .

Edited by grant wildman

Cheers for the recent help guys, these kinds of ideas should really get me started for some concepts to show to tutors, i like the idea of a fluro jacket that actually looks decent haha :) and thanks for the links i'll have a look at these in a few moneys Grant :) i'm sure they will help a lot !

Adam.

what about a helmet with built in lights ?!

i think the reversible hi viz jacket is a good n, only thing id add is make it fully breathable but still have decent water proof ness. something like the gore-tex that MOD use for wet weather gear.

built in lights if you could make them so you really don't feel them could be a bonus for comuters on those dreary mornings.

Good idea swill, but we aren't allowed to do things like helmets...not sure why but its just in the design brief not to. But cheers for the advice on the jacket materials that will be helpful !

Adam.

ok fair dos.

also what about a pair of wolf style loose fit track pants/ jeans with some kind of flexible armour ? some form of integrated aramid weave encompassing a thin rigid ish layer (if you know what i mean) with a layer of non rigid either side or more layer etc to protect shins.