Maths Help!

LukasMcNeal

Stuck on a question because I think my answer is bullshit!

Its a geometric sequence

• 1st term = 2
  • Common ratio = 0.2
  • Worked out the 3rd term (was a question) = 0.016
  • Sum of the first 4 terms (was also a question) = 2.496

The bit I dont get is the sum to infinity... see picture. I got 2.5 but is that right?

post-15941-0-51742800-1359060345_thumb.j

Where in the real world use would this type of maths be used.

Since leaving school I have only ever used the times tables, area, and removing percentages.

So what I wanna know other than being z maths teacher what jobs do you go for if your good at the math

Since leaving school I have only ever used the times tables, area, and removing percentages.

So what I wanna know other than being z maths teacher what jobs do you go for if your good at the math

bacteria growth? nuclear cell deteroriation? compound interest?... :P

Engineering and construction are the first two major industries which spring to mind

I would also hazard a guess that the software in anything from a mobile phone to a set top box and maybe even a microwave involves maths and series' of some kind.

As for using maths in jobs the list is pretty much endless. Any kind of engineering from Civil to F1, manufacturing, software development, computer science, electronics, accountancy (!)... surely even being a bike mechanic involves some maths in the form of geometry etc.

Pretty sure you must use ratios from time to time. And your post must be a troll

Also wether perdiction, robotics, being a pilot +all of the above aand im sure there are more

That's like saying there's a calculator for just adding and subtracting. Before there was calculators you'd have to work it out, the same as anything else.

You personally may never need to use something like this, it's not as complex as you think though this is only AS level maths.