180 rotor on a mod, overkill?

customrider-Rhys

Hello all,

i have a neon bow and have been using a 160 mono trial rotor with my tech lever trial zone caliper and pro pads, i haven't been getting good enough bite/hold so got a +20 adapter and a 180 rotor, seems to be working better,

is this over kill, should the 160 of worked better?

thanks all

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/144713-new-front-break/page-2 link for claim. that said i'm running a 180mm rotor on my mod and it's f**king awesome as balls.

This states something completely different though? He said 160 on mod has approx.the same ammount of power as 203mm on stock...It´s standard that 99% of mods use 160, 24s use 185 and stocks 200mm, because bigger wheel has more leverage of course and the only way to make up for it is using bigger rotor.

This states something completely different though? He said 160 on mod has approx.the same ammount of power as 203mm on stock...It´s standard that 99% of mods use 160, 24s use 185 and stocks 200mm, because bigger wheel has more leverage of course and the only way to make up for it is using bigger rotor.

..so when you use a disc (lets say 180mm) that offers enough leverage to stop a larger wheel (such as a 24" or a 26") on a 20" then you have more power when comparing that disc with a more conventional 160mm disc.

If you have a good enough brake (BB5/7, Hope, Saint), set it up well, install the best pads, keep the rotor running straight, and don't let the disc and pads get contaminated then you'll have a good enough brake no matter what size rotor you choose. I run a 160mm BB7 on the front of my 24" and it is ridiculously good!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...