Echo sl Freewheel?

Callum219

Well, Echo have apparently looked into the quality of these freewheels, specifically the assembly and heat treatment. However, while they point out what they checked, they don't talk about conclusions. So it's hard to say whether the quality problems will be resolved, at least Echo have acknowledged that there could be something wrong.

• Like 1

I can tell the difference between engagements, it is very noticeable. I once had this same argument with someone about golf balls. He told me I couldn't tell the difference between a £41 per dozen titleist pro v1, and a £12 per dozen top flite titanium. In the end I hit them both blindfolded, and I knew straight away which was the more expensive one, because of the feel. If you gave me the same bike but with two different freewheels on, I along with most of the trials fraternity could tell what freewheel was on it, by noise and feel. Yeah I may not be the best rider on the planet, but I know my parts and would not buy an echo sl at this moment in time. They are not far superior, they just feel different. Just because something is more money doesn't make it more superior, most of the time you are paying for a name. Its badge snobbery to most people. If someone were to offer me a tensile or an echo, I'd take the tensile every time, because I know its a quality product and it won't break

i do not understand how something with close to damn it double the engagements aint far superior. how is it badge snobbery? thats a stupid thing to say! its got nothing to do with badge, this would be the best freewheel on the market if it was made by halfords. if your willing to use a worse freewheel which might last a little longer, brilliant. but there is no way you can call the tensile better.

i do not understand how something with close to damn it double the engagements aint far superior. how is it badge snobbery? thats a stupid thing to say! its got nothing to do with badge, this would be the best freewheel on the market if it was made by halfords. if your willing to use a worse freewheel which might last a little longer, brilliant. but there is no way you can call the tensile better.

I doesn´ t matter if it has billion engagements when the pawls/outer rings break after short period of time.

yes i've put sl springs and pawls in a tt ffw, reason i put the pawls in was because the tt ones had rounded. works alot better but u want to use a sl outer aswell as sl springs and pawls, use the sl shims and lockring two and even the bearings, i believe everything but the sl body on a trial-tech body is win....................

• 2 years later...

I snapped one after having ridden it for 6 months. The outer sprocket just broke in half at a gap. Another one's pawls snapped after having ridden in for only a couple of times and the one I have mounted now sounds rather weird.

I talked to some friends who've been in the business for way more than me and some of them have been riding their ECHO SLs for a couple of years!

As my next freewheel I'm probably gonna try one with less engagement points as I believe in the theory Mark has explained.