Brakes

XYXLV

Hi guys!

Well, i need a new front disc brake for my 24''.. But i can't decide which is better and who brake i want!

I love to jump through the front. love to use my front wheel aggressively. So i need a fast and strong brake..

Hope Tech X2 Evo VS Formula RX1 Disc Brake.

Which do you think is better for me? :)

Thanks

Don't get the Formula, they suck! Both quality and power-wise.

I wouldn't recommend any of those brakes though...

The brake I would recommend is a "Shimano saint", definetely the best brake!

Ummmm, no they don't - not at all. The Formulas are exceptionally powerful, however that's not to say they'll be good for trials. Bearing in mind nearly every disc is designed to not just instantly lock-up it's no use saying a 'trail' brake is shit because it doesn't perform well on a trials bike - it's stupid. Hope M4's are good brakes but god knows you'd never put them near a trials bike.

To the OP don't get the X2's, if you're looking at Hope get the Trial Zone's which are very good or has already been mentioned the Shimano Saint's.

i didn't know those things about Formula.

Matthew62 - Hope M4's are good brakes but god knows you'd never put them near a trials bike... why? A lot of rides use them..

I know how feels Formulas and i know how feels Hope M4. I have never tried Saints.. Why Saints are the best in your opinion? Where they are so good?

Thanks

Ummmm, no they don't - not at all. The Formulas are exceptionally powerful, however that's not to say they'll be good for trials. Bearing in mind nearly every disc is designed to not just instantly lock-up it's no use saying a 'trail' brake is shit because it doesn't perform well on a trials bike - it's stupid.

They are not powerful haha... I wouldn't say that my opinion is 'stupid' though since the formula brakes doesn't work well for anything really. You don't actually know what I base my opinion on don't you?

i didn't know those things about Formula.

Matthew62 - Hope M4's are good brakes but god knows you'd never put them near a trials bike... why? A lot of rides use them..

I know how feels Formulas and i know how feels Hope M4. I have never tried Saints.. Why Saints are the best in your opinion? Where they are so good?

Thanks

Because M4's are a trail brake. They're designed to slow you down on descents rather than slam to a halt. I use them on my Five but they don't deliver the right sort of power for a trials bike.

Saints aren't necessarily the best (as it's a matter of opinion) but they are very good and lots of riders seem to be using them with positive responses.

However if you say you are used to M4's then perhaps get the Trial Zones as in reality they just have a different calliper body and if you're used to the Hope system then they'll appear very similar.

They are not powerful haha... I wouldn't say that my opinion is 'stupid' though since the formula brakes doesn't work well for anything really. You don't actually know what I base my opinion on don't you?

In what respect are they not very powerful? For trials use? If that is what you mean then yes I can say your opinion is stupid because you haven't read what I said. If that's not what you're saying and in fact it's that they're not very popular for trail use (there intended purpose) then I don't share your opinion. I guy I ride with who is 6'3", weights over 17 stone and rides a 160mm enduro bike uses the Formulas and he said they are some of the most powerful brakes he's used. They out perform my M4's. Also I see many bikes fitted with them that would have long got rid of them if they weren't very powerful. Not that I go by the big disc brake power tests, but if you did, you'd see that the Formulas rank very highly in terms of power so not sure how you've come to such an opinion. Again, if it's based on trials use then I'm not interested. Also, don't really understand your last sentence.

Thanks guys! I decide- i will take Saints. About rotors..

Hope Trial Zone200mm with Saints. What do you think?

and i don't know!

If you are going to go with the Saints use the Shimano rotors that they're intended for. 180mm front and back will be more than enough: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67197

In what respect are they not very powerful? For trials use? If that is what you mean then yes I can say your opinion is stupid because you haven't read what I said. If that's not what you're saying and in fact it's that they're not very popular for trail use (there intended purpose) then I don't share your opinion. I guy I ride with who is 6'3", weights over 17 stone and rides a 160mm enduro bike uses the Formulas and he said they are some of the most powerful brakes he's used. They out perform my M4's. Also I see many bikes fitted with them that would have long got rid of them if they weren't very powerful. Not that I go by the big disc brake power tests, but if you did, you'd see that the Formulas rank very highly in terms of power so not sure how you've come to such an opinion. Again, if it's based on trials use then I'm not interested. Also, don't really understand your last sentence.

They are not good power wise...

For trials, mtb, trail, normal cycling, DH, pretty much everything I've tried them on. I've had 3 sets, runned 2 of them on my trial bike. I've tried them on my mtb, and my dad who works with bikes who have also runned them on pretty much everything (not trials though) have the same opinion: They are not that good. They are light, and does look quite good, but the quality and the power is bad. They suck in the rain.

Also I see many bikes fitted with them that would have long got rid of them if they weren't very powerful

Oh, funny that you mentioned that! :)

The shop my dad works for sells complete bikes with formula brakes fitted. And so does the shop they cooperate with.

I haven't heard 1 person working with either selling these bikes, or repairing them, saying that they're good brakes. Everyone hates them, because that the fact that they are bad for everything, and have a bad quality. They have sooo many returns with leaking brakes, or just brake problems. And they have a lot of people that goes there and complains about the brakes, and buy new ones..

But meeeh, what do I know. I'm just a 15 year old Swedish tw*t.. :)

I know I'm hardly an authoritative figure on such a topic, but my Hope Tech was epic at the start and gradually got less and less impressive.

Had a go on some Saints a while back, and whilst they're good they really didn't live up to what I'd been led to believe.

If I were to get a (/pair) of discs, I'd be headed straight toward the MT2 aisle.

Been on two separate bikes with them both front and rear that have easily outperformed any others I've experienced, and much cheaper, too.