Monty 221ti - Cracked Hope Disc..what to replace it with?

Shez.sheridan

I've recently bought a used 221Ti with hope discs all around only to find that the rear disc rotor (160mm I believe) has sheared in 6 places...so I'm looking for a replacement.

post-2665-0-57197500-1364217011_thumb.jp

post-2665-0-75669100-1364217065_thumb.jp

I've looked at Tartybikes & the 160mm Monty Kamel rotor is discontinued, does anyone know where I can find one as I'd prefer to substitute it with an original.

post-2665-0-24832000-1364217092_thumb.jp

Alternatively, can anyone suggest another rotor, no clearance issues etc?

I've been looking at the Hope Trial Zone Rotor, has anyone experience of this rotor, clearances, reliability?

Cheers,

Dave

I've recently bought a used 221Ti with hope discs all around only to find that the rear disc rotor (160mm I believe) has sheared in 6 places...so I'm looking for a replacement.

attachicon.gifHope - Cracked Rotor.JPG

attachicon.gifHope---Cracked-Rotor1.jpg

I've looked at Tartybikes & the 160mm Monty Kamel rotor is discontinued, does anyone know where I can find one as I'd prefer to substitute it with an original.

attachicon.gifrotor_monty_022.jpg

I've been looking at the Hope Trial Zone Rotor, has anyone experience of this rotor, clearances, reliability?

Cheers,

Dave

It´s a mono trial brake, so mono trial rotor is original ;)http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/disc_brake_rotors/hope_mono_trial/c76p24.html.

It´s a mono trial brake, so mono trial rotor is original ;)http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/disc_brake_rotors/hope_mono_trial/c76p24.html.

No, these came with montys own design brake disk fitted as standard. He wants a monty disk, not a hope disk. They look totally different.

Monty disk

post-29242-0-56296500-1364223776_thumb.j

Hope disk

post-29242-0-33141700-1364223797_thumb.j

He needs a disk with the same size pad track, something like one of these two or a giant mph disk. Most disks these days appear to be narrow track

Edited by bing

No, these came with montys own design brake disk fitted as standard. He wants a monty disk, not a hope disk. They look totally different.

Monty disk

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hope disk

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

He needs a disk with the same size pad track, something like one of these two or a giant mph disk. Most disks these days appear to be narrow track

It is hope mono trial brake with monty written on the reservoir cap, so he could use mono trial rotor? I never said they didn´t come with the rotors posted in the first post, but it´s pretty obvious they aren´t very good isn´t it? I´ve never seen rotor crack like that before in one place, this cracked in 6 ffs! So yes, original mono trial rotor could be used as it was designed to be used with this exact brake and has enough surface for pads.

• Like 1

Yayyy more useless advices :) :) :)

The point was he wants to replace it with the same disk, which is NOT a hope disk, its a monty one. If he wants to keep it looking the same, this is what he is gonna have to try and get hold of. Otherwise its a pair of disks, in which case I'd get trial zone rotors. How am i dishing out useless advice? Read every other thread and you seem to be the one dishing out wank advice and causing arguments. Do us all a favour and f**k off

Rotors comparable with that brake and frame Hope mono trial, hope trialzone, monty, jaf, echo, there are a few more. All it needs to be is 160mm and be the same depth for the brake surface to fit the brake pads.
I wouldn't get an echo rotor, they are notoriously difficult to bed in and get a good feel/bite from, speaking from experience Edited by bing
  • Like 1

The point was he wants to replace it with the same disk, which is NOT a hope disk, its a monty one. If he wants to keep it looking the same, this is what he is gonna have to try and get hold of. Otherwise its a pair of disks, in which case I'd get trial zone rotors. How am i dishing out useless advice? Read every other thread and you seem to be the one dishing out wank advice and causing arguments. Do us all a favour and f**k off

Do us all a favour and learn to read. Also, feel free to show me a thread with my wank advices, I´m looking forward to that. Good luck.

Edited by ghostrider88

You can use any rotor with the same diameter, it really doesn't matter! My vote goes with the Shimano RT76.... 65570-SM-RT76.jpg
I use these, very good disks, although the track maybe a little narrow for mono trials

It depends how much money you want to spend dude, a trial zone rotor is the best part of 30 quid, you'd be better off looking on crc and trying to find a match

Edited by bing

So did I, first try actually ;) Look, I´m trying to help him like I´m always when someone asks serious question and I know the answer. If I don´t know the answer, I don´t reply, simple as that. Now I´m not saying you aren´t doing the same, just in some cases better advice can be given, that´s all. In this case, your advice wasn´t "wrong" just incomplete I would say. What´s the point of using rotor that fails like that when there are at least 2original replacements that could do the job better(mono trial or trial zone) and for cheaper as well???

Edited by ghostrider88

I've just had a look on crc, it appears the only rotors with a wide enough track are Hayes, clarks or the hope mono trial, v series disks, and the closed2 disks. Or a giant mph disk, as mentioned before. That's all I can suggest pal

What´s the point of using rotor that fails like that...

The one he broke appears to be an early version, hence it having a thinner lower part and the little notched cut-outs. If you look at the photo from our website, the design has changed to stop that happening. Same way the original Mono Trial rotor design changed...

The one he broke appears to be an early version, hence it having a thinner lower part and the little notched cut-outs. If you look at the photo from our website, the design has changed to stop that happening. Same way the original Mono Trial rotor design changed...

Could be, the rest of cons stay though ;)

There aren't really any "cons" in a performance sense though. I mean, I'm not suggesting to go for it as there are better rotors out there, but if he particularly wanted to have it 'matching' or whatever then the updated ones can and do work OK.

But yeah, Mono Trial...

• Like 1

Cheers guys,

I'm probably going to go with the Mono trial/trial zone if I can't sort a replacement as the 'originals seem to be as rare as rocking horse s**t,.

Are there any great differences between the two, I just want the break to block really (the monty one seems to block, then creep forward/backwards on the edge of obstacles)

You won't get a direct replacement unfortunately - they were rare back in '06/07, now they're impossible to get (believe me, I've been looking for about 3 years!).

The Mono Trial is virtually identical, but may have slightly more hold.