Half radial rear stock wheelbuild?

planet x alan

Going to be building myself a new wheel set next month and have been toying with the idea of a half radial spoke pattern on the rear. (3x on drive side and radial non drive).

Are there going to be any issues with wheel flex? especially when doing power moves?

I used to own a very old monty mod back in the day which had half radial on the rear which was fine but was just wondering if the extra length on the spokes would create flex problems?

Surely this means its as good as a 3x both side :blink:

I used wheel for few months built like that, it wasn´t very noticable in either good or bad way, so I would stick to standard 3crossed pattern, no reason not to.

He means there's no point in doing it, there's no advantages to it

IMO I wouldn't go for it.. I've got it in my head that radial lacing is weaker.. And that would be in the back of my mind before attempting something :/

Edited by Danny00135

He means there's no point in doing it, there's no advantages to it. YES

IMO I wouldn't go for it.. I've got it in my head that radial lacing is weaker.. And that would be in the back of my mind before attempting something :/

Radial lacing is laterally stiffer, but vertically weaker and also weaker in torsion. That´s why there isn´t wheel with radial lacing on drive side(or disc side).

• Like 2

Yeah, so back on topic. Nobody is yet to say "yes it's fine I've ran half radial for ages and I'm an absolute powerhouse". Therefore I'm less less tempted to do it.

I said that in first reply lol? I don´t know if I´m powerhouse but I weighted approx 200 when I was using it and was prolly more powerful than 99% of guys on this forum. The question is why you wanna use it?

Edited by ghostrider88

I use radial one side on the front wheel with a 180mm hope disc fitted on the 3x side.

Seems fine to me.

I build wheels and will have time to check spokes and true the wheel if it ever needs it.

Front wheel is viz rim on onza disc hub, 3 months old, has had loads of learning to front and drops upto 5 foot