Half radial rear stock wheelbuild?

planet x alan

I use radial one side on the front wheel with a 180mm hope disc fitted on the 3x side.

Seems fine to me.

I build wheels and will have time to check spokes and true the wheel if it ever needs it.

Front wheel is viz rim on onza disc hub, 3 months old, has had loads of learning to front and drops upto 5 foot

not really relevant to the rear wheel though is it..

Landing hard enough to front to make a 180 trialzone slip is close to the same force and on a thin rim with thin Tyre.

No side loads like the rear would take.

I am no to keen on the radial rear. I think a mod may be ok but a stock or 24 would be a bit risky with radial. Really it depends how hard you ride it

I've been running 1x disc side, radial non disc side on the front, and 2x both sides on the rear on my DH and 4x bikes for about a year now, with no problems whatsoever... Never even trued them either...

Have also run fully radial wheels for trials with disc brake front and magura rear.. The strength of a wheel is mainly in a wheel build, so bear that in mind.

Edited by krazykid009

If you're fat/heavy, radial can also exert a lot more pressure on the rim.

Enough that it can be the difference between a cracked rim and a very strong wheel.

I've had issues with 1x, too. 2x seems to be alright so far (couldn't get hold of the right length spokes), but if you don't need to, why take the risk for the sake of (I don't know how many so it's a pure guess) 8 grams?

I'd go 4, 5 or 6x if the hub didn't get in the way :P 3x seems to be sufficient for me to not crack rims though.

3x3x4lyf.

Enough that it can be the difference between a cracked rim and a very strong wheel.

I've had issues with 1x, too. 2x seems to be alright so far (couldn't get hold of the right length spokes), but if you don't need to, why take the risk for the sake of (I don't know how many so it's a pure guess) 8 grams?

I'd go 4, 5 or 6x if the hub didn't get in the way :P 3x seems to be sufficient for me to not crack rims though.

3x3x4lyf.

I guess anything less than 3X would be assisted suicide for you Flipp :P

Those sideway gaps are brutal!

3x3x4lyf.

That's the sorta info I was looking for :), I wasn't really wanting to do it to save a bit of weight was just more aesthetics but from your explanation I think I'll stick with the good old tried and tested 3x pattern!

• Like 1

Landing hard enough to front to make a 180 trialzone slip is close to the same force and on a thin rim with thin Tyre.

No side loads like the rear would take.

I am no to keen on the radial rear. I think a mod may be ok but a stock or 24 would be a bit risky with radial. Really it depends how hard you ride it

Really?! It's not the same at all is it? I know you work in a bike shop blah blah blah, but think about it. It is not going to experience anything like the same loads and forces as a rear wheel; hence why people run narrower rims, narrower tyres and different lacing patterns up front.

To the Topic Starter:

Radial pattern on a rear wheel is not a good idea, as far as I remember a radial laced wheel is better at handling in line forces that lateral and a 3x pattern is much better at handling lateral forces, but not quite as good at dealing with in line.

Think of the side loads you put a rear wheel through when landing gaps etc. at angles, a radial built wheel just wouldn't handle it as well. It would go out of true more frequently and it would be more prone to folding. There are just to many drawbacks to the idea and I really don't think it would be worth the hassle you'd potentially encounter in the future.

Radial spoke pattern helps with centrifugal rolling of a wheel but has no advantage to trials wheels other than a possible weight saving .

Running a crossed spoke lacing pattern you are essentially making the hub flange larger making the wheel stiffer and stronger.

That's my two cents.