disk brakes advice ASAP!

OAndrews

im updating my 20" front brake as i currently have a rim brake but would like a quite front brake :P

anyway my question :P

i have the choice between a cable disk and a hydraulic theres like a £40 difference so iis it worth getting the hyrdo one or not?

BB7 (Y)

They can stop you dead if set up well...
They're also a piece of cake to set up and maintain.. Can't possibly be messy either.

Also you don't have the problem like with some discs which aren't a closed system...
So you can hold them any way up without worrying XD

im updating my 20" front brake as i currently have a rim brake but would like a quite front brake :P

anyway my question :P

i have the choice between a cable disk and a hydraulic theres like a £40 difference so iis it worth getting the hyrdo one or not?

If you can´t afford to buy saints, get bb5 or bb7(if you don´t mind more squishy feel of bb7). SD7 lever,g2 rotor, some good quality cables and they are great.

I've never had to actually do anything maintenance with my hydraulics, i just fit them and that's it.

Indeed, most of the time they're fine. But when they aren't they are often fiddly and expensive to fix, think about if a seal in the caliper went, that'd mean buying seals, bleedkit, pads, rotor, oil and then the faff of sorting it all.

Ok that's an unlikely mode of failure, but I think its generally true that hydros are more expensive and time consuming maintain, to a point where older hydraulic disc brakes just aren't worth bothering with given the expense and work involved to get them back to factory fresh performance.

Indeed, most of the time they're fine. But when they aren't they are often fiddly and expensive to fix, think about if a seal in the caliper went, that'd mean buying seals, bleedkit, pads, rotor, oil and then the faff of sorting it all.

Ok that's an unlikely mode of failure, but I think its generally true that hydros are more expensive and time consuming maintain, to a point where older hydraulic disc brakes just aren't worth bothering with given the expense and work involved to get them back to factory fresh performance.

Luckily i work in a bike shop so i can sort that in minutes, but i see where you are coming from.

Broken seals in saints will cost you a new caliper if its not under warranty.

For a magura you get 5 year warranty from new which I think is very good.

And hope will cost you if not covered by warrany,

Pads £15-16 and seals £3-5

Not always pads.

I've had saints,mechanical bb7 copies and some other brakes.

I would say that hydros are soooo much nicer with the lever feel and power.

You might not have the money for shimano saints, so a cheaper option that kicks ASS on the front is shimano zee :)

• Like 1

Avid x0 carbon!

Just ordered some of these on sale, the reviews look good and they came 2nd in mtb magazine, that's only because they was £200. Or they would of came first.

On sale here... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/avid-x0-carbon-brake-lever-disc-brake-with-hs1-rotor/

Edited by Sam Moss