Gearing

psiron

I noticed that Ryan Leach on his video says that he uses a 22 tooth front ring and a 19 tooth rear sprocket. My Inspired Fourplay came equipped with a 22 front and 16 rear. I'm interested to know if changing the gearing is going to make much difference and how to make sure that the right sprocket is chosen.

thanks

I recently went from 22-16 on a fourplay to a 22-18 equivalent (18-14 ) ratio and I was instantly happier, I tried 14t too but it was too hard to pedal kick but was great for ragging at stuff and bunny hopping.

22-18 is close to the standard trials ratio so it makes pedal kicks and sidehops much easier. Definitely experiment and see whats good for you, it really depends on your style, environment and in what direction you want to progress.

I'd say try an 18t and a 15t you can pickup cheap ones for a few quid, gear ratio makes a huge difference to how your bike feels for better or worse.

I keep having problems with a hamstring injury that came over from my road riding days and peddle kicks and drive train orientated moves tend to bring it on. i don't have the same problems on my mtb or road bike and i've been wondering if lowering the gearing will cure the problem.

I also noted that if i raise the front wheel from the starting position (i.e. weak foot forwards) the front wheel is high and when i'm ready to get the power down with my strong foot, i find i'm off balance. so would lowering the gearing shorten the movement or increase it?

Edited by psiron

Lowering the gear would increase the amount of pedal rotation and decrease the distance travelled supposed to a stiffer gear which would decrease the amount of pedal rotation and increase the distance travelled, is this what you meant?

Edited by Beefchops

I just meant if he is injured then sticking to something like 22/18 might be best for him as it's an easier gear but I'd say the optimal gear ratio for a Foreplay would be 22/16 or 15.

I guess I don't know much about hamstring injuries so I might be talking rubbish.

lowering the gear increases pedal rotation and shortens distance covered by the wheels, or from starting position,( ie weak foot at 1 o clock) less wheel lift and better balance for the all important pedal kick. :dance:

Cyclist's, especially road racers suffer from a shortening of the hamstrings. which in most cases can be remedied by stretching. In my case as i was working as a cycle courier in London, stretching was'nt allways practical and after years of doing it..... etc.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this topic, your views have certainly influenced my decision on changing the gear ratio on my FP.

• 2 weeks later...