Travelling

Rich J

It has been on the cards for a while now and after a lengthy discussion last night I should be off to New Zealand in March then off to where ever further down the line. The plan is to work in different places whilst travelling to help fund it all. NZ job is easy to sort but anyone done anything similar? Looking for places to go, things to do, recommendations, things to avoid, suggestions on stuff anything really. Not just NZ but other countries too. Not off to get pissed up and what not more of an adventure on a large scale with a few mates.

In 2011 I left my job to go to Asia, and people would ask about my 'travelling' plans and I used to tell them that, given I was driving 800-1000 miles a week for my job back then, travelling was something I wanted to avoid!! So I don't associate 'travelling' with 'living abroad' - they can be two different things, or you can do a mix of both. In Asia you can do the whole backpacker thing and move town/city every few days, and it's very popular, but I found a lot of value in staying put for a while. That you want to work as you go is a good thing because it'll encourage this. For me, that's where the value was in my first adventure of this sort. I'd meet people after a few weeks in a city and they'd say "Oh but you can do* [city name] in two days, why would you stay longer". Herein lies the problem with touring about clutching a Lonely Planet guide, from which inevitably you have a cookie-cutter list-checking trip.

Backpacking cynicism aside, I can't really comment on NZ specifically because I haven't been there, but as far as Asia goes, I had an amazing time taking it slow and getting to know the places I went, and trying to get a bit deeper than a passing tourist would. Once you meet a few locals you can really feel comfortable somewhere. Actually yesterday I met an interesting guy here in Bangkok who'd flown over from LA with 800 USD to his name, and he's determined to make it work teaching English.

Me, I went back to the UK after 6 months, and then made preparations to come back to Asia and live here properly. I got an apartment etc, and within a week had made some truly amazing friends, and now if I want I can be out doing something every evening and weekend. I'm riding BMX with the locals, eating amazing food, meeting awesome girls and generally having the time of my life. When I think about it, none of this would've happened if I hadn't just chanced it on that first plane ride out of England.

So yeah I can't offer advice on NZ, but if I had to sum up some general travel/living abroad points, it would be...

1) Go with an open mind - don't be afraid of new experiences and strangers. Use your intuition to stay safe but remember, some of the best things in life have a risk attached.

2) If you're ever in Asia, be careful with drugs - people smoke a joint at a massive beach party and still get caught, and f'cked.

3) If you're choosing to live outside the western illusion of safety, try not to worry about money running out, where your next work is coming from. Enjoy 'today' regardless.

4) Buy insurance. I didn't want to, but did, and just aswell because I saw five doctors and had an MRI scan last month, and it cost a fortune.

5) Get vaccinations if you need to - do it in advance. If you're going to SE Asia I'd advise Hep B and Rabies jabs.

6) Travel light. SERIOUSLY, you see people with giant bags with all kinds of crap tied to them. I had 6 weeks in Cambodia with a single 30 litre backpack and I was fine.

7) BIT! - buy it there. Especially in NZ, but even in remote China or Bangladesh, you can buy most stuff that you'd need.

8) Enjoy the experience of being wherever you are. Too many people waste their time Instagramming every moment of their trip instead of actually living it.

9) No matter how sh't things get - because at times they do - remember that tomorrow is another day. Just after arriving in Bangkok in January I felt like binning it all, but you never know what's around the corner, and things will ALWAYS turn around and get better.

10) In westernised countries (e.g. US/NZ/AUS) take border requirements seriously. If they ask for proof of onward travel etc, then you could very well need it. People can and do get turned away from borders all the time.

Hope that helps. I'm always encouraging people to do this kind of thing, because often it's life changing. In the UK we have a very narrow range of options and possibilities. Probably why people mess about with the lottery and other hopeful ways to radically change their lives. But it's down to us, we have to make it happen. Once you set foot in a foreign country with aspirations of travel, you're open to the full spectrum. You could end up dead and stabbed up after trying to hitch-hike, or you could end up meeting the girl of your dreams and building your own cabin in a luscious pine forest. Who f'cking knows, and that's the beauty of it.

If you allow things to happen, often they will.

* I f'cking hate it when people use that word - you never 'do' a country or city, you just see a tiny fraction of it, and there's almost always a reason to go back another time.

• Like 4

I am currently 6 months into my 12 month work visa in Australia. Before we arrived here we spent just 6 weeks in New Zealand and 3 weeks in travelling around California. When we leave here we'll be looking to spend a month somewhere else before returning home for xmas.

I would definitely reccommend Aus, it's not as exciting as backpacking through Asia (Thailand is supposed to be great) but the people are nice and if you buy a van and just work/drive around you'll have some good times/make some good friends. You will find the majority of backpackers over here are German for some reason.

Finding work in Aus is pretty easy, especially if you are english, at the moment I'm a grounds keeper at a holiday park which is paying fairly well and free accommodation. It took me 2 days and a telephone interview to get the job so not difficult.

To sum up if travelling is something you want to do then definitely do it now while you are still young and don't have the commitments.

• Like 1

In NZ ive only been the the southern island, but it rocks(Arthurs Pass, Milford sounds etc...try google it and you will see (much better in real life than on pics..))..amazing nature, kind people and a lot of sports going on...Have a nice trip. if in Australia Sydney&Melbourne are nice as well, good riding in both cities...

• Like 1

Cheers to all, you all sound like you had/ are having fun. The plan is to spend at least 4 months in one place in NZ to start with and travel when time allows purely because we are able to get a job the moment we land. As it stands that all the plan contains, obviously that will develop in the coming months, but is it worth leaving it relatively open to simply see what happens or is having a set plan a much better idea? I'd love to leave all the options open and see what take our fancy at the time.

I spent 6 weeks in NZ over christmas and had the most amazing time of my life.

I landed in Christchurch and went:

Geraldine - Mt Cook - Queenstown - Milford sounds - Queenstown - Franz Josef - napier - Abel Tasman - Napier - Blenheim - crossing - Wellington - Taupo - Auckland - Rotorua - Auckland - Paihia - Auckland - Heathrow.

There are lots of reaons to my route, which i shalnt go into too much. I was traveling around by coaches, you'll find that most backpackers will use the likes of Kiwi experience, magic bus, contiki etc, however these are expensive to use and can be very restrictive as the routes are all pre defined. I managed to get a cheaper and better deal by using what is essentially the national express of NZ. It's called an intercity flexipass, you purchase it in hours (i had 60) you can top it up, and each time you book travel the time is deducted. You can book right upto two hours before the coach departs, and you can cancel two hours before and not be charged for the fare. It may however be worth getting yourself a car or a van if you'll be there in excess of 2 months.

Accommodation

Hostels are ridiculously cheap, good laugh and you meet loads of people

Camping can be even cheaper, there are DOC (department of conservation) websites dotted all around NZ, however these tend to be outside of the main towns and i would not recommend using these unless you have a car. You also wont meet as many people camping, however if oyu are travleing in a group it probably wouldnt be much of an issue.

Christcurch was shit boring, i had booked three nights in the hostel and only ended up spending 2. Unfortunately because of the devastation there, there isn't a great deal to do. There are a few cool things to look at, they've made a small shopping centre out of brightly coloured shipping containers, and the museum and botanical gardens are worth a look into, but i wouldn't spend too long here.

Geraldine was the most tranquil place i have ever been to, the whole place moves at about 2mph, i only ended up here because it was where the rafting place operated from. Not much going on, one night was enough but wouldnt be a shame if you missed this.

Mt Cook, i stayed in the DOC campsite there, unfortunately it rained horrendously, which ended up in a stargazing trip i had booked being cancelled. One night would be enough to look around the very good and interesting visitor centre. There are a few walks you can do also.

QT - literally the best place in the world. be SURE to hit up the DH trails. I could have spent a week just riding them, such and awesome set of trails assisted by a wonderful gondola system. Nightlife there is really good, and for christ sake if there is one thing you do in NZ - GET A FURGBURGER. The Nevis bungee is also here, do it!

Milford sounds - there is one restaurant hotel, a hostel, a ferry terminal and a few residents. That is it. It's a beautiful place to see, and most people tend to do so on a day trip, usually heading out from QT which involves a coach ride into milford, a boat ride around the sounds, and the the drive back. This is nice however i don't think it's the best way to see the place. I ended up staying at the hostel overnight and waking up very early (around 5am?) to go for a kayak tour. No one else was around, it was peaceful just to be out with 6 others and have nothing but the nature around.

I'll write some more up tomorrow. Goodnight.

We plan to get a car for the initial part of the stay, so cheers for that advice. Cheers Rob, look forward to hearing more.

This is the trip on of the guys coming with us did in Feb in NZ for anyone who might care.