Apprenticeship and Grades

bike_dummie

Hi,

I recently went for an apprenticeship and I got a letter back from them saying i have obtained one of the apprenticeships they were offering.

I currently have 4 GCSE's at the moment (A* to C) but i also have many BTEC grades.

So my question is will they accept a BTEC as one of the 5 required GCSE's?

Thanks Adam :)

In which case I believe that BTECs count towards the 'points' of GCSEs so you should be fine. I'm assuming that you told them what you were studying, so they'll have offered the place based on that?

In which case I believe that BTECs count towards the 'points' of GCSEs so you should be fine. I'm assuming that you told them what you were studying, so they'll have offered the place based on that?

Thats a relief :P and yeah i said what subjects i took as it was one of the questions in an interview i had to partake in :)

Anybody else's opinion on this matter would be very much appreciated! :)

What's the apprenticeship in and what BTECs are you going to have? Without any more information I'd say you're fine, most only want maths, english and science.

The apprenticeship is in engineering but i will be in quality control so it will be a good mix between Computers and Hands on work. The ones i currently have are - PE, Sports Studies and the one i am hoping to use which is ICT. :)

Providing you get A*-C in the GCSEs you are doing and a decent grade in the BTECs you are doing I can't see why they would massively fret and turn you away. I presume you've done some tests/assessments for the company and passed as well?

Edited by LukasMcNeal

when i did engineering at college (had to start at the bottom on an nvq, then to a gnvq and then a btec) i was told that the associated qualifications included in the course (applied science and maths for engineering, communications ect.) were the 'equivalent' to an a level qualification (for the btec) in the same area (science, maths and english), never quite understood what was meant by 'equivalent' an never got a straight answer either.

so they were probably pulling my leg and trying to make me feel better as i have no gcse's, then laughing at me behind my back :P

Providing you get A*-C in the GCSEs you are doing and a decent grade in the BTECs you are doing I can't see why they would massively fret and turn you away. I presume you've done some tests/assessments for the company and passed as well?

Yeah we had to do quite a few tests when we were there, hands on as well as academic which i did pass :) So you think i they will accept 4 A* to C and one Merit BTEC (Equivalent to a B )? :)

If the btec is relevant then it will count :)

Thats what i thought but GCSE do seem to be looked upon more highly than BTEC's so i started to have doubts :(

Edited by bike_dummie

Yeah we had to do quite a few tests when we were there, hands on as well as academic which i did pass :) So you think i they will accept 4 A* to C and one Merit BTEC (Equivalent to a B)?

You've passed their tests and they've said you've obtained it, you seem pretty safe to me!

I'm fairly sure that a distinction at BTEC is equivalent to a C or a B at GCSE, and you've said you have 'many' BTEC grades. So providing the BTEC's you have are all reasonable grades, I can't see why they wouldn't accept it.

BTEC isn't one grade, they do BTEC National Certificate, National Diploma, High National Diploma and so on. What this chap will have are National Certificates, I think.

To answer the question, they may accept it, but you won't know by asking a forum about bicycles. Phone them up and ask!

Thanks for all the help! For anyone else in my position going from secondary school to an apprenticeship instead of college or anyone that is interested I sent them an email they said that as long as you have a GCSE at a C or above in English, science and maths your BTEC equivalents will qualify :)

When I got accepted onto my apprenticeship I had a b-tec which counted as a GCSE. That was 4 years ago, however I doubt anything has changed :) who are you going to work for?

I will be working for Martin Bakers making ejection seats and other safety systems :) Can't wait to start just finished school today with one exam to go! :)

Edited by bike_dummie