Different (creative) riders

clerictgm

After watching some new Tim Knoll's video:

I'm puzzled with some question. Why most of riders are copycats? Why there are only a handful of people that really creative?
Is that some imagination failure disease epidemy?
What difference between creative riders and usual riders? How you ride and why?
Regards to me - I'm finding my riding a little boring, repeatly doing some usual moves, and want to make it more diverse.
  • Like 1

At the end of the day we all ride because we find it fun, and we don't take judgement from others because our riding is "boring".
That's the beauty of trials, there are endless possibilities of how to do something, yes, some people like to push and try new ways, but we'll still all ride to how we feel comfortable.

This is the same answer to a lot of topics on here. PREFERENCE.

If I think I can tap a wall but not to front it. I'm not going to to front it, am I?

now post a vid of yourself riding finally,youre always bothering about stuff as if you where better than them all,time for some facts....

sorry,more of a joke than anything,your topics are starting weird in most cases,then turn out as something interesting,well excited what it turns out this time lol

edit:being creative is not very easy,but i tried to and hopefully my first public vid will be.

Edited by FamilyBiker

The most creative riders I've seen all ride for the same reasons we do, for fun!

For me creativity will only be allowed to show through when I've got the basic skills right. After that you can start to use your imagination. The motto I'm sticking by so trials doesn't become just another discipline to learn and pump money into is "think in lines, and ride what will make you smile when you go home that night"

Just because something is creative or novel doesn't mean it has universal worth. Different individuals appreciate different things. I like creativity but only to the extent it retains fluidity. The chap in the video above is kind of interesting to me but doesn't inspire me to try and be really novel. His movements aren't particularly fluid; I don't find his efforts pleasing to the eye. I respect that what he's doing probably makes sense to him and brings satisfaction though.

Personally I just enjoy trying to be smooth and learning new moves so I can experience the sensation of them. Sometimes that includes creating a novel combination or move but mostly not. I'm happy with the direction I take my riding and that's as far as I need to think about it.

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 3

His riding is definitely interesting, but the lack of flow is an issue for me, the lay back truck tuck thing was my personal favourite move in the video.

This guy is also a very creative bmx rider, whose riding flows and super creative. Candy bar nose manual!!

Answering your question. I guess it is bloody hard to be creative and different and it is probably the same reason as why most bands aren't all original, new and different.

Edit: I didn't really answer the question. Got distracted by work and forgot the point I was going to make.

I think the main reason for comp is simple. We are riding specialized bikes that built for a purpose: to help you at a competetive trials environment. So that means these bikes are made for taps, gaps and sidehops ( I know that there are way more moves, I just want to show my point simply) and for backwheel moves and just for these. At a comp you cannot really do different moves other than comp moves ( for example you cant jump way more differently at high jumping competition because with that backflip technique you can go the highest) so there wont be too many new moves at comp. But at street, what is more free than the comp, you will see loads of moves that would be totally useless at a comp, but they are creative and look good. As someone mentioned, at street riding you can see new and new moves slowly, but at comp, you simply cant really, because of the nature of the sport. Anyway, for being THAT creativ, like that BMX guy, or like MacAskill, you must be a genous on the bike, and not everyone is that.

• Like 1

Stuff

More stuff

It's interesting you both mentioned those points - when I saw the video there was something that didn't do it for me, but from the universal praise it was getting on FB/elsewhere I thought that I was just being a sourpuss or something.

In terms of creativity, influences will have a pretty big bearing on that. For example, Tim Knoll's been riding flatland for over 10 years and used to be a competitive gymnast, so those influences combined with seeing modern street riding (I think I also read an interview with him where he said he was really into Rodney Mullen's skating, which is broadly similar) is going to shape what he does/doesn't do. It's the same for almost all other creative stuff though realistically - what you watch, see, hear and do will change how you live your life, so being open to more influences will usually lead to being a bit more creative. If you only watch certain types of video you're unlikely to suddenly do something new or different because there won't necessarily be anything to spark it off.

now post a vid of yourself riding finally,youre always bothering about stuff as if you where better than them all,time for some facts....

sorry,more of a joke than anything,your topics are starting weird in most cases,then turn out as something interesting,well excited what it turns out this time lol

edit:being creative is not very easy,but i tried to and hopefully my first public vid will be.

Maybe I shoot some video this season, I have only 1-2 people that can help me with that and now in my city only 3 trials riders, so this would be pretty difficult.

Now I like to go big, to fight my fear forcing myself to do some big(for me(1.7+m)) drops, dropgaps, bunnyhop gaps, etc.

The only thing I know - I hate to ride if I can't diversify it.

Edited by clerictgm