Van questions

Duncy H

I didn't want this to get lost in a sea of vag talk in the car thread so made a new thread.

Basically I'm looking to purchase a van once I've shifted my cars. It's mostly for transporting my moto trials bike around the country when I'm competing and will be used as my daily. Budget wise I'd say £2-3k and would like something with 3 seats or 2 seats with the possibility to fit more seats in. I'd had in mind something like a swb vw t4 or vito or something of similar size. Anybody got any recommendations or advise for what to look at or steer clear of?

Also anybody got any tips for insurance too? It won't be used commercially at all but insurance on vans from what I've tried seems a bit steep! I'm only 19 with 2 years ncb but get quotes of roughly £2k which I think is rather steep.

Would appreciate any help very much thanks :)

We used to have Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato's when I was a window fitter and they were superb vans, pretty cheap to buy, nice to drive and did well on diesel.

I think you're gonna be pretty stuffed on the insurance though, just have to keep looking around. From what I gathered at my old job the insurance tends to be high thanks to the number of claims for tools and equipment put in when firms have had vans broken into so it sends the group up. Generally a thief is gonna know that you have a van as you need to carry stuff about and most of the time despite the no equipment signs left on them breaking into one is gonna pay off for them.

Can you get a moto trials bike into a Berlingo / Multipla or similar?

My understanding is that car-derived vans (or even people-carriers / MPVs etc) are cheaper to run / tax/ insure. And you have the same speed limits as a car whereas in a van you're more restricted.

EDIT: Pickup?

They ain't pretty! Plus insurance on them is deer and probably a bit larger than I require.

So far best quote I've got is £1700 on a vw t4 but people charge an arm and a leg for t4s.

Edit: To reply to Tomm, I've tried insurance on 1.2 litre vauxhall combo vans and transit connects etc and they seem to sit in the middle insurance wise. Doesn't seem to make no difference unfortunately.

Done the pick up think with my dad for the last few years and it's not the best way of carrying a bike around.

Edited by Duncy H

Vans are 70mph on Motorway, 60mph on dual carrage way and 50mph on any other roads as long as you are under 3.5ton gross. I do 30k a year in mine and get a wee van as diesel and the especially the gov are just ripping people off. Car derived vans can do the same speed as cars. I had a long wheel base transit connect that had two seats in the back and I could fit two moto trials bikes in as well as all the gear. If you add seats then you will need to tell your insurance and it will need to be checked that its done correct with correct seats and put your insurance up more. You will need to change the log book as well and under current rules that will be a PITA. So small car derived van is what I would go for.