Is that ok use Road stem for trials?

romm

Having suspension and then descussing the weight of your stem is about the dumbest thing iv ever known... do you see any trials bikes with suspension? If you think its helping in some way , it isnt...

You could run a cast iron stem and still be lighter if you get some proper forks.. or just buy a trials bike... or if you're a troll'a'lol then FU...

What has suspension got to do with dropping 10cm... your doing it all wrong... my entire frame weighs less than those suspension forks.

I think you have serious mental retardation .

Please please upload a picture of the bike... I thi k we would all love to see it...

Potential troll, yes, but if not then you're just ripping some dude who's just asking for a little advice on his setup. Ok, it's not conventional and not how you'd do it, but at the end of the day if you advise and he does the opposite then it's his own fault.

Calling him mentally retarded is a little harsher than he deserved really, given that his profile doesn't mention being from Hull anywhere...

• Like 2

Lol.

Yeah I didnt mean that in a literal sense I just wanted to undetstand his thinking and why he wants that setup.

My advice is not to use it, he has said he still will. Just wondering what reasons for not taking the advice imany trials riders here of different skill levels have said... and why you even need to ask about a road stem?

Eh.

Do what you like buddy. Just have fun!

A lot of guys here do that.... do any of you use suspension? Or know anyone who does? (No im not saying it's not trials if you use suspension)

I haven't seen anyone do trials wih suspension ever I dont think... unless trials is "jumping down stairs" yeah then suspension is good. Get full suspension, then you can go really big drop in's etc.. like on that show "drop in".

Is that the sort of riding that you do?

Cannondale lefty fork with the steer tube suspension. Maybe iv seen trials with that im not sure...

I haven't seen anyone do trials wih suspension ever I dont think...

Hays Rey, Ryan Leech & Chris Akrigg to name a few

But in answer to the OP, a road stem is not okay for trials. (Of any kind!)

Edited by AndrewEH1

I ride street, i don't use suspension. You will really benifit from switching to rigids, honestly, it makes the front lighter, moving the centre of balance towards the rear which will help when you are pulling the front of the bike up, even in stuff like bunnyhops. Suspension also hinders the stuff you can do on the front wheel (endos, footjam whips, nose manuals) as it makes it feel more unstable. if I were you i'd switch to rigids and experiment with my tyre pressures untill I got something that felt right for me :)

i sее, it's bеttеr fоr triсks аnd wеight but i still likе susр mоrе:) thаnks аnywау.

аbоut thе stеm - i'm plаining to buy sоmе rоаd full саrbоn аs i bеliеvе thаt саrbоn is stiff еnоught аnуwау аnd i guеss nоbоdу tеstеd it.

i sее, it's bеttеr fоr triсks аnd wеight but i still likе susр mоrе:) thаnks аnywау.

аbоut thе stеm - i'm plаining to buy sоmе rоаd full саrbоn аs i bеliеvе thаt саrbоn is stiff еnоught аnуwау аnd i guеss nоbоdу tеstеd it.

Why ask for advice and ignore it all?

Carbon road stems have bonded alloy parts which will come apart quickly.

Once opon a time I thought xc carbon could take trials. I bought some x lite carbon bars. They were fitted for one day and snapped.

I would love to know how quick a carbon road stem would last. But i will leave you to find this out.

I can't bunny hop at all without sus forks.

But I know why its because I never put the effort in to learn on a rigid.

As in rolling manual style bunnyhop.

• Like 1

Is it not also likley to damage suspension?

I know of some sus that does have "top out" protection, but usually they are tripple-clamp 300mm travel Marazocci (?) And such... pulling up on forks can cause topping out and eventually the forks will degrade, leak and brake.

Most trials components are built specifically for trials (if you race F1, you use a F1 car etc...) and even then they brake. What will happen if you went on a bungee jump forum and said " hay guys im thinking of using just a tow rope I have in the boot of my car, but its ok because nobody's tested it and i know its strong enough"...

Also, out of curiosity how much is this carbon road stem?

Cheers.

Dude, at 13:10 yesterday afternoon after some advice off a SM you said you were gonna leave this topic alone. Since then you've posted a further 6 replies, seriously chill the f**k out. I've already let the mental retardation comment slip but anymore and you'll be on the street...

• Like 3