51 and just started trials!

Thumperbob2002

Hi All. Just started bike trials at the untrue age of 51- just got a pretty fine Onza Zoot from this site. Doing this mainly for fitness and to help with my balance. I have done moto trials and a bit of MTB, as well as track days etc on sports bikes.

The thing is, after an hour on this bike I really don't know if its the right "fit" for me- I`m 5`8 and 12 stone. The bike just feels a bit weird, like I am very much over the front and the pedals feel very high.

My thoughts are that it is something I`ll just get used to, and time on the bike is more important than any small adjustments. Looking at videos on Youtube, it seems as though my position on the bike is fine, just the feel of it.

Any words of wisdom?

• Like 1

And there was me thinking I was old, feel much better now, cheers. :D

I had a go on a zoot not so long back and I really didn't like it, seemed a strange riding position. It is what it is though so its all in the time you put in :)

Glad I could be of service! Maybe I have started trials to feel younger- though I cant see myself knockin about with the local youths at the local hangout! Just another skill on a weird looking bike. Rather do this than head to the Gym.

If it was me the first thing I'd do is change those bars for a normal set of riser bars more akin to what you'd run on a mountain bike, you'll easily pick up a pair secondhand for next fo nothing. Stick them on and have a more relaxed bar angle (tilted back slightly more than forwards) and it should feel a hell of a lot less alien. I've been riding for an obscene number of years but if I jumped on your bike with those bars I'd find it pretty funky too!

If it was me the first thing I'd do is change those bars for a normal set of riser bars more akin to what you'd run on a mountain bike, you'll easily pick up a pair secondhand for next fo nothing. Stick them on and have a more relaxed bar angle (tilted back slightly more than forwards) and it should feel a hell of a lot less alien. I've been riding for an obscene number of years but if I jumped on your bike with those bars I'd find it pretty funky too!

I'm gonna be a douche here and contradict what Sam just said :P (It's ok, we know each other!)

I would probably go with a stem swap instead, it's cheaper (£20 new), easier (7 bolts rather than having to remove grips etc), and will make a greater difference to the feel of the bike than the bars. Something around 90-110mm length and 35 degree rise would be a good shout. There's a few brands who will just stick a logo on the same forged stem from the Far East (which are more than up to the job) so you can probably pick one up from your local shop if you wanted to have a look before you buy. This is the sort of thing though: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_stems/bbb_forged/c41p11644.html

like I am very much over the front and the pedals feel very high.

This is normal on zoot with long stem. If you want more comfort on 2 wheels you need to get shorter stem (90x35 or 70x35 or 70x25) and frame with lower BB riseplus turning your bars back a bit may help, but then you will feel less comfy on rear wheel. So you must to find the balance between that.

Edited by TriаlsRider

This is normal on zoot with long stem. If you want more comfort on 2 wheels you need to get shorter stem (90x35 or 70x35 or 70x25) and frame with lower BB riseplus turning your bars back a bit may help, but then you will feel less comfy on rear wheel. So you must to find the balance between that.

a bit late because the guys already sorted it for him.

but hey,did you just give someone constructive advice?

congrats,i like the new cleric

;)

I just looked at the pictures of the zoot before it was sold and the bars are tilted forward quite a lot. I'm assuming you're running the same bar angle. Tilting them back should make a big difference.
The geometry of trials bikes means that you will feel that your feet are high and weight more towards the front in comparison to mountain bikes. Believe it or not the Zoot has a relatively low bottom bracket and isn't particularly long (in comparison to other trials bikes) so you will get used to it.

Keep practicing track stands as they're invaluable. If you get some pallets or something similar you could learn transfers. Personally I learned back hops once I could track stand. One of the main things I found at first was that I could go out one day and learn loads then the next few rides I'd get nowhere. Patience is definately a virtue when learning trials.

get some shin guards

This! I made it 2 months without hitting my shins and then:

10646130543_40368829bc_m.jpg
Bloody Sunday von niconj auf Flickr
I'm also glad to read about someone starting at the age of 51. Makes me feel that I still have time to improve a lot in the next 18 years. :)
Nico.
Edited by niconj

I'm 32, and no sign of me jacking it in anytime soon.

Get your control centre sorted so you can brake with one finger. And find your natural position. Tyre pressures are quite crucial as well, although you probably know this. Also get some better v brake pads, as the standard onza ones are a bit gash. These are quite good if you are on a budget

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/vbrake_pads/inspired_vpads/c84p10009.html

Or these if you fancy something proper decent

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/vbrake_pads/tnn_engineering_adv/c84p11958.html

Just a suggestion like. Shite brakes won't do your confidence any good at all. This is my advice to all beginners, just the basics before you start laying cash out trying to get better

Edited by bing