Hub/dish dilema

*gentlydoesit

I've taken my new wheel to my lbs to be straightened. The dish is miles out on their jig :S

I was going to buy a 135mm axle from tarty but they don't stock them. Any ideas how they can dish the rim with a 116 axle so when I find a 135 its just a quick swap?

I'll do a youtube link in a while so you can see what I mean as thets probably not very well worded

I've taken my new wheel to my lbs to be straightened. The dish is miles out on their jig :S

I was going to buy a 135mm axle from tarty but they don't stock them. Any ideas how they can dish the rim with a 116 axle so when I find a 135 its just a quick swap?

I'll do a youtube link in a while so you can see what I mean as thets probably not very well worded

Just get your money back...

If Brad wants his wheel back he should pay shipping.

erm,the wheels dishing isnt related to the axle width,if an axle is mounted the correct way the rim is in the same location as before.if its out that much it isnt laced properly.

sorry to say,mate

only other thing i can imagine is you need other spacers for the new axle,maybe they got swapped unintentionally?

Edited by FamilyBiker

It shouldn't be, the echo 116/135 hubs use the same shell, just a different length axle. If the wheel isn't in the centre of the flanges, it's not dished right. Reasons for this are unequal spoke lengths, too much tension on one side more than the other.

Can't understand how brad ran the wheel like this, it must have sat to one side in the frame. Have you got the spacers on right. I don't mean to insult your intelligence but it's very easy to get then mixed up. Put it in your frame as it is with the brake cylinders on and take a photo

in that vid i´ve only seen that it isnt trued properly.

was that truing stand centered? in that case you´d have 8-10mm offset,i would say that wheel isnt laced properly.

how are the spokes sitting in the nipples,seen from above the rim/nipples?

are they poking out/even/uneven?

edit:and what bing said.

Edited by FamilyBiker

If it were a free hub, then the centre of the rim should sit above the centre of the axle. This is also true of the fixed hub, but you should be able to get in in the middle of the flanges as well, ensuring a fully central wheel.

The spacers can't be wrong, or at least didn't do it :D they don't come off because their mullerd, though not enough to be that far out.

The dude at the bike shop set the jig up, I assume he's got it right, the other wheel he did was bang on (Y)

*yeah some spokes pertrude the top of the nipple

Edited by *gentlydoesit

If someone (maybe at tarty ;) ) could give me a dimention/s for the spacers I think I've got a plan

New/correct spokes and fresh rebuild. Almost sounds like why he wouldn't sell it to one of his mates.

I doubt that he rode the wheel like that! It'd be rubbing the brake real bad.

If it were a free hub, then the centre of the rim should sit above the centre of the axle. This is also true of the fixed hub, but you should be able to get in in the middle of the flanges as well, ensuring a fully central wheel.

so if the hub were in the jig on the bearings outside edges, the rim could be dished at that?

Edited by *gentlydoesit

Yes mate. It will work providing the spacers allow the wheel to sit in the middle of your frame. Can't see a reason why it shouldn't like. If I was more local to you I'd come and have a look and maybe fix it for you