Fancying a full Susser..

Tom Booth

It's near bestwood country park, on some private land in the middle of nowhere. Me and mike singleton are looking at heading down for a couple of hours tomorrow and i may be back on thursday depending on the weather. But we're nearly always up there on sundays!

I'm down the road in Derby and also on a five. Looks like there are a fair few of us around here, would be good to sort a ride out sometime.

Usually ride in the peak but through the occasional trail centre trip in..

Bestwood looks fun. Does it get muddy?

Bestwood looks fun. Does it get muddy?

Never, its pure sand about a foot under the topsoil so the rainwater soaks down almost instantly. It's a very rare occasion when you ever find a puddle there, even during the weeks of near constant rain we've had recently!

• 2 weeks later...

A mate of mines been after a bike to tag along with recently. He's been borrowing his brothers old Kona Big Kahuna from about 1957 to come riding with for a couple of years, and it sucks balls. I directed him to this topic and he's gone and bought that Nukeproof. What a great bit of kit it is! I'd contest it's abilities downhill thou compared to the five, it certainly climbs well but downhill I still think the fives abit more lively (could just be he's a massive pussy thou). He's very very happy with it thou so another happy customer there Matt.

I can't believe how much my ridings changed on the five in a few weeks. I'm barely braking on the downs, berms are ALOT more fun and it jumps beautifully. Time around pines has gone from 1h10mins to 45minutes! Got my eye on a reverb dropper thou soon, the boys in the barracks can't carry on getting this much of a beating.

A mate of mines been after a bike to tag along with recently. He's been borrowing his brothers old Kona Big Kahuna from about 1957 to come riding with for a couple of years, and it sucks balls. I directed him to this topic and he's gone and bought that Nukeproof. What a great bit of kit it is! I'd contest it's abilities downhill thou compared to the five, it certainly climbs well but downhill I still think the fives abit more lively (could just be he's a massive pussy thou). He's very very happy with it thou so another happy customer there Matt.

I can't believe how much my ridings changed on the five in a few weeks. I'm barely braking on the downs, berms are ALOT more fun and it jumps beautifully. Time around pines has gone from 1h10mins to 45minutes! Got my eye on a reverb dropper thou soon, the boys in the barracks can't carry on getting this much of a beating.

Ah good stuff, it's one hell of a bike. It's been very popular this year the AM275 - part of me wished i'd got one instead of the TR. I should say that the Mega womps the Five for downhill, it's basically a mini DH bike, but I'm surprised you say it climbs well as it isn't renowned for it's lightweight or climbing prowess, however the 650b wheels do help. The Mega has a fair bit more travel than the Five and is a good bit slacker so should rip on the downs compared to the Five, but as we discussed before the Five is pretty much the only pure (non-assisted) single pivot design on the market so you just can't rival it for how active the rear suspension is. It'll react to absolutely every bump. I've heard a few guys saying a coil shock can improve a Five further, something like a Cane Creek Double Barrel but I was never tempted personally. I'm glad he's enjoying his bike either way, they are a lot of bike for the money. Tell him to possibly consider a wheel upgrade and going tubeless in the future to drop a good amount of weight which should liven it up further, but that combination of the Pike fork and Monarch Plus rear shock is unbeatable at the moment.

Yeah there's nothing like a bike you feel at home on to improve your riding. I'm looking at changing to a Lapierre Spicy as soon as possible which I think will improve my riding further. You can't beat that feeling of railing a berm and feeling the bike compress and woosh as your rail round. That's good going taking over 20 minutes off a loop. I'd definitely recommend a reverb. Other than my XTR brakes i'd say it's the product I just couldn't be without now.

I rode some of the Innerleithen enduro and DH tracks yesterday as I've entered the Scottish enduro in a few weeks time.....god knows why - that stuff was steep, muddy, rooty and scary, well out of my depth I think.

• Like 1

I've been looking at coil shocks recently as I've noticed I can bottom the float pretty easy (I drift between 16-16.5st so I'm fairly hefty, another reason I went for the scaffold built five) so running it at 300psi. It copes brilliantly but it's in the upper limit and I'm not a fan of running stuff close to the limits. I read fantastic reviews of the TF tuned fox van r with a custom tune and they seem sensible money too.

The NUkeproof is fast downhill, it does womp over most stuff the few times I've ridden it but I think it's more how I felt on the alpine. It's fast and rolls over soo much easy but it didn't feel as responsive as the five, didn't feel as 'tight' so to speak. Uphill it's grand thou, but it's probably because I suck uphill. Shaving that time off the trail was such a surprise to me, it's given me a lot more confidence to hammer through the turns and chuck myself down the rock sections.

I've just been looking at reverbs, my new credit card came through the other day, must-resist-even-though-there-silly-cheap-at-the-minute.

Best of luck in the Scottish enduros man, a mate of mine invited me to race at hardwood last weekend but racings not my bag, I'd rather just hack pushing myself abit but I see why people race. One of my mates won the midlands XC under 23 championship a few years ago and he's unbelievably fast, abit painful to ride with thou as he has to hit every section perfect or he gets stroppy.

I've been looking at coil shocks recently as I've noticed I can bottom the float pretty easy (I drift between 16-16.5st so I'm fairly hefty, another reason I went for the scaffold built five) so running it at 300psi. It copes brilliantly but it's in the upper limit and I'm not a fan of running stuff close to the limits. I read fantastic reviews of the TF tuned fox van r with a custom tune and they seem sensible money too.

The NUkeproof is fast downhill, it does womp overdose stuff the few times I've ridden it but I think it's more how I felt on the alpine. It's fast and rolls over soo much easy but it didn't feel as responsive as the five, didn't feel as 'tight' so to speak. Uphill it's grand thou, but it's probably because I suck uphill. Shaving that time off the trail was such a surprise to me, it's given me a lot more confidence to hammer through the turns and chuck myself down the rock sections.

I've just been looking at reverbs, my new credit card came through the other day, must-resist-even-though-there-silly-cheap-at-the-minute.

I'd definitely consider a coil shock for your weight then, I think it'd be a good platform and give you more to push off. As you say running an air shock at its limit will be a bit compromised. The Van R is exceptionally basic so be warned... I've not looked in to price options but look in to the CCDB if it's not too much more.

Yeah you're right. It won't feel as lively as the Five for sure. I like a bike to still have that flicky element even if it's at the expense of travel and ability to smash through stuff. I'd say you're bang on in comparing it to the Alpine.

The non-stealth reverbs are a great price on CRC at the mo and bike-discount.de usually has good prices!

The non-stealth reverbs are a great price on CRC at the mo and bike-discount.de usually has good prices!

Stoop it :(

There's about £200 difference between the van r and a ccdb but its more then likely worth the extra, I'll see how the funds go for the next few months. Plus coil shocks look bad ass :P.

Reverbs are awesome once you learn to use them, really is a game changer because it allows you to drop that 40mm to give enough clearance but still retain most pedaling efficiency.

Speaking of how the Orange frames handle, riding Boumsongs patriot yesterday it was the most uncomfortable, jarring thing I've been on! Is this just because the spring rate would have been too high for me? I expected it to be much more active over smaller stuff, in comparison Allen said that my bike felt like a cushion to ride :D

edit: are you running the reverb remote inverted on the left? If not be careful of the button if you turn the bike upside down.

Edited by forteh

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Peer pressure you twat, although for £180 I weren't gonna hang about.

Haha good man! Be mental not to. Go for the pro setup and run the right hand remote upside down on the left! It means you can put your bike upside down without it leaning and scratching (possibly breaking) the remote and it's a more comfortable action.

Yeah, I'm gonna drop the double ring in time so it'll free up space on the left for the inverted lever.

Doh, should of read that before I replied, however spotted this..... when you do go single ring (it's worth it) grab a Blackspire Narrow-Wide chainring. I presume your bike has a clutch mech? If so, just whack on the chainring and you'll need no guide what so ever. I've been using one for a while now on some really rough trails and it's been absolutely perfect! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/blackspire-mono-veloce-narrow-wide-chainring/rp-prod112084

I still can't see how the right hand lever is for the right, it looks so awkward when mounted correctly.

I used to run mine on the correct side and it does look better and if you rotate it the angle is fine but it's just so venerable that way.

I don't know if you noticed on your mates Nukeproof that even with the reverb being mounted to the break lever with their matchmaker system it's still mounted upside down on the left (with a right lever). Pretty much everyone does it that way, but I think RS argue the articulation in terms of how you depress the button isn't quite as good. In practice it's great.

IMAG0867_zps058629ce.jpg

Game changer!

IMAG0869_zps6938d9dd.jpg

Soo so awesome. Had to cut my shred around pines short as I snapped my chain, shit gets sour when you have the legs of Zeus. Managed to hit all the sections I wanted too thou to get the full idea behind a dropper post and it's a brilliant piece of kit. There's some good climbs in pines that suddenly drop off to nicely laid berms and a few drops, getting used to the feel of the seat being around your knees on the downs instead of between the thighs is weird but opens up a lot more manoeuvrability around the cockpit. I know it's a lot of money for a seat post but anybody considering one it's a must.

Think the bikes about finished now, I'm gonna drop the granny ring and front shifter to make some more room on the bars in time but that's a future plan, maybe some slightly higher Renthal bars but I'm enjoying these Raceface Chesters for now.