Brake recommendations

Duncy H

Hey folks,

The situation is I can either pay £60 to get my rear elixir working with new hose and bits and pieces and I don't really like my avid brakes or go all out and get new brakes.

I've been looking at zee brakes but does anyone have any reccomendations? For a enduro/all mountain rig.

Hey folks,

The situation is I can either pay £60 to get my rear elixir working with new hose and bits and pieces and I don't really like my avid brakes or go all out and get new brakes.

I've been looking at zee brakes but does anyone have any reccomendations? For a enduro/all mountain rig.

SLX buddy, there's no con with the £47 price tag, believe me. also i think SLX's have four pistons too and my buddy has a pair on his dh bike and there bloody powerful!

I really really really can't stress enough how much you should get SLX's. My orange came with them as standard and they are emense. Soo powerful and responsive, the adjuster on the lever is fantastic too. Despite the plastic levers they feel very nice and solid when used in anger.

Any of the new Shimano brakes will be great from deore up

quick specs:

deore, servo wave and lever position adjust

slx, all the above + ceramic pistons and brake pads with cooling heat sinks, toolless lever position.

zee, all the above + 4 piston calipers (no cooling heat sinks)

xt, all the above + bite point adjust (2 piston)

saint, all the above, 4 piston and heat sinks the lot.

xtr, 2 piston all ceramic pistons, and lots of weight shaved in all areas

Any of the new Shimano brakes will be great from deore up

quick specs:

deore, servo wave and lever position adjust

slx, all the above + ceramic pistons and brake pads with cooling heat sinks, toolless lever position.

zee, all the above + 4 piston calipers (no cooling heat sinks)

xt, all the above + bite point adjust (2 piston)

saint, all the above, 4 piston and heat sinks the lot.

xtr, 2 piston all ceramic pistons, and lots of weight shaved in all areas

The Deore (as previously stated) doesn't feature Servo Wave. It's starts on the SLX brake.

Well I just ended up ordering some slx brakes with some Icetech rotors after having a play on my friends xt and slx brakes. Yeeeehawww

Good choice.

but the deore does have servo wave.http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/9792117/

unless the box they come in is lieing

I can't read anything on that photo but on further research it seems they do! Used to start on SLX and they don't advertise so much on the Deore model. All I know is on my commuter which has the newest Deore's it's not doing it's job like my XTR's.

The Deore (as previously stated) doesn't feature Servo Wave. It's starts on the SLX brake.

Good choice.

Yeah it does, I've got a 2012 model and it's got servo wave, says it on the box and in all the manuals inside

Knock in the caliper? Must be a fix for that right? I'm also considering slx for my streettrials bike. They seem to be a bit more powerfull than than the exilir's that came with my mate's fourplay. But how is the bite and hold, good enough for trials? And what rotor's to choose? Is 203mm overkill? Also, is there an advantage with icetech rotors over std slx ones?