Brake booster?

AlexClare94

Right so I see a fair few bikes with rear brake boosters, I know they protect your cable and that some frames have them built into their design but is there really a need in that extra bit of weight to compensate for breakages?

Isn't that obvious?

How well the brake bites - the speed it stops.

Hold is how well it holds the wheel in place.

When are you actually stopping speed? I don't usually skid when on my trial bike. Hold would be pedaling up some obstacle and when landing on it, how well the wheel stays still?

I think the only frames that ever needed boosters were old school frames that didn't have much strength. Everything is so compact nowadays, and a lot of frames seem to have built in boosters or a very stiff back end at least.

I think the only frames that ever needed boosters were old school frames that didn't have much strength. Everything is so compact nowadays, and a lot of frames seem to have built in boosters or a very stiff back end at least.

Mine even flexes a little with a Trialtech 4 bolt booster. I don't know whether the brake is "too strong" though.

When are you actually stopping speed? When you land on an object you want the wheel to stop instantaneously. I don't usually skid when on my trial bike. Hold would be pedaling up some obstacle and when landing on it, how well the wheel stays still? Hold relates to how well the brake holds the wheel in palce once it has stopped.

• Like 3

the echo pure lite 24 etc have bad flex, and the onza frames without integrated boosters.

i know i had horrible flex on my echo pure and onza comp frames. still never ran a booster though.

i still get a little bit of flex even on my radix but not on the tubes but on the brake mounts if you get what i mean? it's not a problem though

Edited by jack dickinson

Mine even flexes a little with a Trialtech 4 bolt booster. I don't know whether the brake is "too strong" though.

That's because as soon as the brake hits the rim the force can go nowhere else apart from flexing stuff...

the echo pure lite 24 etc have bad flex, and the onza frame without integrated boosters.

i know i had horrible flex on my pure and comp frames. still never ran a booster though.

i still get flex even on my radix but not on the tubes but on the brake mounts if you get what i mean? it's not a problem though

I LOVED echo frames without boosters, gives such nicer lever feel and always gave the best braking performance for me.

What brake set up did you use if I may ask?

Cousts, 4 finger 05, and echo tr. Worked a dream.

cousts (french ones), magie 4 finger blade. and deng sl cnc'd lever body and maggie slaves. (same setup for both the comp and the pure) had not bite or hold. but change to heatsink yellows and was signifcantly improved.

now on the radix it's. heatsink yellows (because im to lazy with grinding my rim.) tar. maggie 05 four finger and maggie slaves

Edited by jack dickinson