Bicycle Ramp

Jake.

Right, there's a river near me a bunch of mates enjoy mucking about it. I've come to decide I want to build/buy a ramp to jump off into the river.

These kinda things without the handrail would probably be ideal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-1-4-pipe-Skate-ramp-deck-BMX-scooter-skateboard-quarter-pipe-/180933606795?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Skating_ET&hash=item2a207bbd8b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freshpark-4-X-4-Quarterpipe-4-Foot-Extension-Kit-RRP-299-99-/191085015412?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c7d8df174

I don't really want to spend over £100 on this as it's just for a bit of fun... Any ideas? I'd be happy to build something as long as it doesn't take too long to do.

Remember the objective is to go as far/high as possible. The ramp will only have to be able to handle being ridden over, unlike normal ramps which are often landed onto/on or doing tricks and going back down.

Also this is the least of my worries but what's the best way of making a bmx float? Haha.

Also this is the least of my worries but what's the best way of making a bmx float? Haha.

wide tires pumped up to really high pressure?

Honeslty, I would even consider my own ride as well

I mean sealed bearing everywhere, alu frame, bolts are steel but can be changed, brakes off.. it survived a night in the rain, should be fine here too

Sounds like a great plan!

Should I link like 100 videos here as people nearly kill themselves on a ramp like this, or is it enough to tell you to set up a camera pointing at the ramp?

I aim to kill myself in the process so yeah, 3 go-pros between me and a few mates good enough?

Tape blocks of polystyrene to it

Cheers, also read up that taping plastic bottles works too.

Seems we've sorted bike float issues.

Any ideas with ramp guys?

Let me know when you do it, I wanna do it too!

Fresh water's not too bad, just make sure you hose it off after, salt water is another matter...

Hahaha I bet you do, will be to a freshwater river. Here's 2 pics of it in the background, I haven't actually got a dedicated picture of the river... Lol.

20140613_171329_HDR_zps6fbf7cd1.jpg

20140613_195857_HDR_zpsf1b514ba.jpg

I bought 10' 2x2" treated timer the other day for my log store it was about £4.50

about 3 of those and a massive piece of ply wood should do.

i built a 4'x3' launch ramp a few years back for the jump bike it cost about 40-50 quid took about an hour or so to put together.

you will need a jig saw and a drill.

the 4x3 ramp managed to get us high enough to jump over the top of a hatchback car if you hit it at about 20mph.

i would say go to 5x4 or bigger for a good lake ramp

• Like 1