Customized echo sprung tensioner + trialtech sport lite hub

ericbenjaminjr

I've been having massive chain tension problems. Just no sweet spot between under and over tension. The only elegant solution I saw was the echo sprung tensioner but it doesn't fit my trialtech sport lite hub. So a friend of mine purchased a new echo tensioner and gave me his old one and I went to the drawing board to come up with a solution that would make it fit. This is what I came up with.

I basically had to create a spacer that would hold the tensioner. Took me 3 designs till I came up with the final one that works.

1 post-36904-0-72277400-1408831712_thumb.j 2 post-36904-0-84569100-1408831711_thumb.j

final

3 post-36904-0-71840700-1408831710_thumb.j 3.1 post-36904-0-52705400-1408831709_thumb.j

I got a friend to make me a prototype. Brass was the only thing he had laying around. I'm not sure if thats gonna hold but the final version is gonna be steel for sure.

Spacer next to the original

post-36904-0-21823100-1408832245_thumb.j

Hub with original spacer

post-36904-0-55394000-1408832120_thumb.j

Hub with new spacer

post-36904-0-69808100-1408832142_thumb.j

I also had to machine open the tensioner itself to fit over the new spacer.

Everything attached

post-36904-0-75972200-1408832173_thumb.j

It worked out nicely. I used an old spoke to make a tension spring. There was just enough space on the right side to wrap the spring around the trialtech serrated M10 bolt spacer.

I stuck one side of the spring in a snail cam bolt hole.

post-36904-0-01070100-1408832081_thumb.j

I stuck one side of the spring in a snail cam bolt hole.

post-36904-0-78927700-1408832578_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's quite odd I've been thinking to myself and even thought about designing an idea similar to this up on CAD. I think it would be a good idea if a company went into production of a tensioner that also gives the correct spacing for an axle washer instead of 1mm pieces of metal which sit on the axle. it'll most likely be or reliable than the 74 Kings and Heatsink tensioner due to being stronger and i'm surprised no one has recreated something like to actually work with all hubs.

Edited by Culshaw95

I just happened to have a friend with that tensioner and didn't want to accept the fact that it wouldn't fit. These things come out of necessity. I also ran into another necessity while installing this. Without snail cams the drive side axle would back into the dropout due to the pedal forces. I had to push a small round piece of metal into the dropout to act as a stopper.

I have some trialtech chain tugs laying around. I noticed the shape of the part that slides into the dropout.

post-36904-0-97518200-1408846595_thumb.j

So I thought different size spacers to wedge between the inside of the dropout and the axle would be a good little helper to have. The washers hold them in place nicely on my setup.

post-36904-0-50196700-1408846320_thumb.p

post-36904-0-23889900-1408846317_thumb.p

Hopefully I can get these made as well...

Edited by ericbenjaminjr

I just happened to have a friend with that tensioner and didn't want to accept the fact that it wouldn't fit. These things come out of necessity. I also ran into another necessity while installing this. Without snail cams the drive side axle would back into the dropout due to the pedal forces. I had to push a small round piece of metal into the dropout to act as a stopper.

I have some trialtech chain tugs laying around. I noticed the shape of the part that slides into the dropout.

attachicon.giftttt.jpg

So I thought different size spacers to wedge between the inside of the dropout and the axle would be a good little helper to have. The washers hold them in place nicely on my setup.

attachicon.gifdropout spacer.png

attachicon.gifdropout spacer side.png

Hopefully I can get these made as well...

You can buy them I think as they come with Onza frames/bikes that have the intergrated tensioners. It would be better if it was made out of something other than aluminium due to it sometimes changing shape (Thats what happened with me but i dont seem to have much luck with things anyway)

You can buy them I think as they come with Onza frames/bikes that have the intergrated tensioners. It would be better if it was made out of something other than aluminium due to it sometimes changing shape (Thats what happened with me but i dont seem to have much luck with things anyway)

You got one laying around? Can you post a pic?

Good job. Should have knurled the brass spacer too.

Thanks, I didn't think it needed to be knurled because its capped off with the serrated washer. I think the knurled spacer is for when you leave out the washer for use with snail cams.

You got one laying around? Can you post a pic?

Thanks, I didn't think it needed to be knurled because its capped off with the serrated washer. I think the knurled spacer is for when you leave out the washer for use with snail cams.

Unfortunately I don't anymore as they came out whilst riding as my tensioner bolts became loose but this is what they look like http://www.trialsaddict.com/chain-tensioners/chain-tugs/onza-integrated-tensioners.html

! have the new version on the heastsink tensioner (the one with a cog thingy) and fits absolutely perfectly, i can get pictures if anybody requires because it took a week for me to figure out how i could fit it. (all was needed was to turn one bracket 180 degrees) :)

I had pretty much the first one (Besides Steve himself using one). It was a good idea but i found it didnt always hold itself into position back when I used in on my Ashton. I found that the upper part leading from the axle always found itself rubbing against my chain and I couldnt get it to stay in one position without over bending the main spring

Unfortunately I don't anymore as they came out whilst riding as my tensioner bolts became loose but this is what they look like http://www.trialsaddict.com/chain-tensioners/chain-tugs/onza-integrated-tensioners.html

I had pretty much the first one (Besides Steve himself using one). It was a good idea but i found it didnt always hold itself into position back when I used in on my Ashton. I found that the upper part leading from the axle always found itself rubbing against my chain and I couldnt get it to stay in one position without over bending the main spring

i dont have a problem with it moving, because my hub has m10 or some shit sized bolts. i set it up by placing it by the chain where i want it, the tighted the hub. after i bend it upwards and place on the chain. works.

I wound up dissecting the chain tug and removing this bit. The trialtech hub uses pretty big washers so they hold them in pretty well.

post-36904-0-28393700-1408978329_thumb.j

i dont have a problem with it moving, because my hub has m10 or some shit sized bolts. i set it up by placing it by the chain where i want it, the tighted the hub. after i bend it upwards and place on the chain. works.

Interesting. The trialtech hub uses a huge m10 bolt but it doesn't seem to be able to resist the pedal forces.

This looks pretty good, never used one or seen one on anyones bike before.

The heatsink tensioners were great, even better when run upside down and with part of a 6" steel rule as a spring; the original; springs were rubbish.

I've not seen this newer version...

The heatsink tensioner was my final resort if this didn't work. I wanted a rolling instead of a rubbing solution. This is much lighter as well.

• Like 1

This looks pretty good, never used one or seen one on anyones bike before.

The heatsink tensioners were great, even better when run upside down and with part of a 6" steel rule as a spring; the original; springs were rubbish.

I've not seen this newer version...

That's the one with the Jockey Wheel and yeah I agree the springs were pretty bad. I think they have been upgraded not 100% sure. Still would like to see more like this echo one though as it would benefit so many riders especially if it could be brought onto vertical drop outs

post-29200-0-13984200-1409068290_thumb.j