Hashtagg freewheel - worth it?

Greetings

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine :P You get companies who put minimal effort into designing/testing stuff becoming popular, but then breakages of their badly designed products negatively impact people's perceptions of what other people in the trials world are doing. As an unrelated example, Inspired use a new steerer tube/crown system on their aluminium forks that is lighter than their previous ones, but has been machine-tested and rider-tested and is stronger than the previous system they used. It's a time-consuming, expensive way of developing products, but it means that ultimately you end up with a lighter product that is genuinely stronger. It's a similar process to when Trialtech are developing new products (you can see the Sport Lite forks and SL cranks being tested by their team riders in videos that came out way before they were released). From seeing Jitsie team riders bikes at the World Cup/Tarty Days (related to that, if you check the intro to the Tarty Days 2015 video you can see some very different prototype Jitsie cranks on Dani Comas' bike), they obviously spend a lot of time developing things as well. Dismissing all that effort just because Racing Line couldn't work out that that crank design probably wouldn't be great seems like a bit of a waste.

• Like 1

That all may be very well but Trials parts, in comparison to MTB parts are less quality. We've had that discussion some time ago already where people said that the price would be way higher for trials parts if they were produced+tested in the same way MTB parts are.

Since I've started trials I've had so many shit parts in my hands that cost a fortune compared to other MTB parts that were way better quality for a resonable price.

Trialtech are the exception though. Thoroughly satisfied with their products.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

^^ True. The 'failsafe' is to buy heavier parts, since in most cases that will increase strength / durability even if the design / testing isn't as advanced as MTB stuff (quite rightly due to budget / order quantities, as you said).

Lightweight cranks in "broken when ridden hard" shocker. This is the point I keep trying to make, riders need to choose products that suit their riding rather than buying the fanciest looking or lightest. This is the only way we'll end up with a reliable choice of components, because manufacturers will only keep making the light stuff if that's all that sells.

Although i don't fully disagree with this the manufacture has the duty to produce something fit for the purpose intended and the retailer is just as responsible to fully understand the product before putting it on sale.

if companies like Trialtech can do it why can't others? Racingline as just looking for a quick profit.

Is it really acceptable that the testing in being carried out by the customer?

at quote from your site: making the Hashtag sound strong…. why doesn't the description highlight the 'light cranks might snap'?

Fully CNC machined cranks feature large cutouts from the rear faces, saving lots of weight while still ensuring good strength and stiffness.

- Just 3.3% heavier than the lightest standard setup currently available, whilst being stiffer

as for the Hashtag freewheel i don't think its sorted yet, i would personally suggest to get the Crewkerz BB30 cranks and the newer freewheel which seems great so far (fully black in colour)

• Like 1

Why has someone not manufactured cranks to the spec of rs7s but through axle and ffw/spline friendly? I seem to recall they were lighter than and equally as strong as any other crank available, how they compare to weight wise I don't know.

Manufacturers just follow trends in the market. If a few popular riders started using more heavy duty parts then the fan boys would follow and manufacturers would start catering to them. Adam basically said the other thing earlier in the thread but I thought I'd copy him.

Why has someone not manufactured cranks to the spec of rs7s but through axle and ffw/spline friendly? I seem to recall they were lighter than and equally as strong as any other crank available, how they compare to weight wise I don't know.

because forging tooling costs a lot of money, its much cheaper just to machine from a lump of aluminium. the first middle burns where just machined rather than forged then machined and they where very weak.

at quote from your site: making the Hashtag sound strong…. why doesn't the description highlight the 'light cranks might snap'?

It's a good point - but a shame if we have to state the obvious. It would make any website a pretty tedious place to be :(

The Hashtagg cranks are a different product entirely, maybe they are light AND strong? It does happen, but generally only following a few months / years of testing and with decent design / manufacturing process.

because forging tooling costs a lot of money, its much cheaper just to machine from a lump of aluminium.

What I was about to add. Some companies (the ones who do things properly) will be developing such a thing, but it takes time - a lot more than just boshing out a CNC crank with no testing!

• Like 1