Can I ride trials with this back problem?

Kitemouse

Hi all. I am new to this forum and am thinking of getting into cycle trials but don't want to buy a bike if my back problem doesn't allow me to do so. I mountain bike which causes me no problems at all. What does cause me severe problems (and I mean severe) is twisting at the lower back especially under load. Do many techniques used in trials involve this sort of movement because if it does then it's going to be a no go. My intention is just to have a bit of fun in the local woods, how restricted would my riding be because of this problem. Any advice will be much appreciated.

i'd be wary of it; when i got into trials i had alot of discomfort in my back; i think this was purely muscular but it highlight the amount of work your back will do in trials. moves like sidehops require you to lift the bike and place the bike sideways, as they get bigger the amount you need to contort yourself can get quite extreme, have you watched much trials to get an idea of it? plus you're gonna have to bail and fall off alot as you learn. surely this is gonna pose a fair risk of unexpected twisting?

• Like 1

There's gonna be days when you will fall off and possibly even hurt yourself don't think you can do a sport without risk of injury sounds stupid but even before you went out on the bike try doing some stretching. 10 minutes getting the limbs and body loose Imo help the fact that you have a bad back. You don't need to go out and push yourself and try to do the biggest gap or sidehop etc just go out and have fun on your bike been many occasions where I've just Road a curb for an hour or so 

Hi all, thanks for your response. I have watched video of trials and am pretty sure that sidehops and some of the more extreme manoeuvres would be a mistake for me. My problem is worn vertebrae causing the nerves to get pinched when I twist. I reckon I could manage some of the easier stuff so think I may well give it a go. If I buy a cheap second hand bike I can always sell it on if I need to. 

• Like 1

It's quite hard to say for sure, without trying.

I've had leg injuries before that have meant I walk with a limp, yet I could get on the bike and pedal like mad with no discomfort at all. The body is a strange thing, you might be lucky :)

Maybe try and contact some local riders and just have a quick go on their bikes, see how it feels? though I guess you'll not really know until you start to improve and do bigger things.

Anyway, I'd give it a go if I were you :)

• 1 month later...

Don't worry about buying a new bike right away. Looking back, I was riding trials long before I ever got a trials bike. You can learn all the basics with a regular mountain bike which will give you a feel for the sport, and a chance to see how your body responds. Once you've ridden for a few months, reevaluate how you and your body are enjoying trials and make a decision from there.