Hex Stem size...HELP!

Ben Davies

I have a hex on the way in a few weeks and also have a Hope stem in the parts box which is 90x10

would it work with a few spacers underneath (I have a whole set of hope ones but that might look a bit silly)

...and some high risers, TT high rise for example... yay or nay?

Most other hex's all the cool kids ride have higher stems, would a 90x10 make the handling crap? :S

Unless you have a load of spacers under it then that's gonna be pretty low for that frame. For that geo I found a 90 x 25/30 was best with some high rise bars, spacer-wise that depends on your height, style, posture etc, but I had a good 30 or 35mm of spacers.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

On my 26/24inch Marinobikes I'm  currently running a BBB stem which is 90/35 Rise (they go for around £20 on eBay) in 25.4 but u will need 31.8 which they do. Very gd quality and quite popular for anyone who wants to save abit of money. I ran a hex with a 70/35 aswell, which felt great to help make the bike feel shorter. But if u want abit more room for gaps I'd go for the 90/35. Would love a 80/35, but u can't get any. Think Ali C runs a Xtreme stem 80/40 31.8 clamp only. so u can take away most of the stackers, which is a great idea. They come from Rose-bikes in Germany.

image.jpg

Edited by John Shrewsbury
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll give the hope a miss then and get something along the 90/30 - 35 size

John, your bike is something else!!! that has to be the nicest thing I've ever seen!

Actually, it was your green hex what came up in a google search which made me want one! :wub: nice build!

Cheers

Ben

I've been going around with stem lengths on my hex... Have an Arcade bar (easily the best bar ever made...?), ran a Trialtech high rise and now run a Trialtech carbon bar on my pogo stick.. The arcade bar is pure pure natural comfort.

On the hex I started with 70x30, 5mm spacers underneath, was nice and short but still troubled to get the front end up. Measured the stem and it was 60mm!! Was very nice for certain spin style things but not so great for pulling up...the bars would turn very quickly, an X-up dream.

Then I got a used 80x40 stem (hand branded as that, not sure if it's 30deg? Not in orig package) from my LBS and the bike changed to a new world.. Still with 5mm of spacers underneath... Had one incredible ride (just think about it and it goes into a manual) and tore my rotator cuff at the end of the ride! Bummer zone... Going for a spin tonight, also ordered a 70x30 Ritchie stem but unsure if I'm even going to try it as this 80x40 is incredible.

90x30 is an old favorite but I haven't tried it yet as I feel it will feel too "long" when turning the bars if that makes any sense/ a mate has that on his bike and it reminds me of my pogo stick... 

90x10 with a good amount of spacers underneath will be more streety, 90x10 with only a few spacers will be nice for "pure trials". Watch JamesB hex videos, he's got a similar looking to 90x10 and he uses his hex for pure trials.

In the end just try all kinds of things till you get something that feels right to you- enjoy that frame I'm falling in love every time I ride it... Have fun with it !! 

Edit: shot of my bike, green is the best ;)

image.jpeg

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 1

My goal was to run 5 gears as a stock bike should have by rules of trials law.

However the only fault of the arcade bars is I couldn't fit my cut down 1999 gripshift with my lock on grips :'(  

Edit: took out all I could take out. One tiny link, for fears of future British chain length ridicule. I will think specifically of you whenever I have to change a flat and it's a pain in the ass as my chains so f**king tight. 

This makes the dog happy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 2