Reliable Rim Brakes

Culshaw95

I'm thinking about possibly going back to hydraulic and just wondering if anyone has used the new Magura HS22s? I have had some bad encounters in the past with hydraulic brakes so i'm still a bit hesitant about going back. What brakes are leading the way now? i've been running cable for a while now 

What kind of bad encounters were they? As long as you have good pads, a decent grind and nothing is leaking, hydraulic rim breaks are rather reliable imo

I am currently running three sets of rather old Maggie HS11 levers and the matching slaves, and though this isn't the newest or lightest setup, I don't even want to think of anything else for their place you can get for the same price

Edited by Bottleneck

1 hour ago, Bottleneck said:

What kind of bad encounters were they? As long as you have good pads, a decent grind and nothing is leaking, hydraulic rim breaks are rather reliable imo

I am currently running three sets of rather old Maggie HS11 levers and the matching slaves, and though this isn't the newest or lightest setup, I don't even want to think of anything else for their place you can get for the same price

Magura: 2005 HS33. Cracked on back pannels. HS11 2011. Piston in lever kept seizing. HS33 2014. Brake lever snapped whilst doing a side hop

Racingline: When they first released. Leaked. Newer Complete brake. Fluid gushed out the lever after a few to fronts. 

I thing the only hydraulic brake that has been rather successful was my tensile tocco which i still have i'm just skeptical with what to try as a rear brake I've never had to do anything with my V brakes but they just seemed to work but they do become effort to use especially when doing some long lines as my fingers/forearm starts to strain  

Edited by Culshaw95

For the 2005 HS33, you just have to pre-emptively cut off the panels and they last a lot longer. They seem to still be the most leak-proof/reliable lever there is.

I personally have high hopes for the trialtech levers, but I'm not going to go and recommend something that hasn't even come out yet. Other new unreleased levers to keep in mind: Jitsie, Clean, Hope (I'm assuming these will be reliable too, judging by brand alone)

7 hours ago, Culshaw95 said:

tensile tocco

Funny you should say that. I had three Tocco levers and all of them started to leak in different places after having ridden only a couple of times. I always sent them back to my dealer and after a short while he took them out of his catalogue because I wasn't the only one doing so.

I currently run Racing Line levers (the ones with the double seal pistons) and other than a tiny leak on the bleed bolt* on one of them, they work just fine. 

*Some ptfe tape helped on that.

04 magura bodies with matching cnc levers. Magura slaves with echo clamps. Racing line dual seal piston and Spring, lubed with silicone grease. Never failed me on many builds. Never leaked. Many power. Much bite. Very feel solid

There was a certain amount of Magura HS11 2011 levers that cracked after even small impacts. Not first-hand experience, but I had 3 friends who had these levers crack in exactly the same places. But from what I heard, when the guys at Magura realised the problem, the new dispatch was improved and this issue was fixed

On 05/08/2016 at 5:53 AM, niconj said:

Funny you should say that. I had three Tocco levers and all of them started to leak in different places after having ridden only a couple of times. I always sent them back to my dealer and after a short while he took them out of his catalogue because I wasn't the only one doing so.

Tocco levers were made wrong from the get go.  We (by which I mean Cap) stripped down and fixed each lever (requiring some time on the lathe) before they got sent out, and we've had no issues with them.  Simple fixes that Tensile could have done themselves, especially as we pointed it out as soon as we first got them/they were first shown, but they just didn't.  A waste really because they were good levers, especially at that price.  They've been discontinued now though so I guess that's a moot point.