Sub £100 hydraulic disc brakes?

bikeperson45

I ran the same shimano deore m615 on several builds with standard pads on an Aztec wavy rotor. Get an avid or hope adaptor though. Mega power, very good hold. Don't discount shimano's so easy, they are bloody good brakes for the money and are fit and forget in my experience. I've also ran a set of 2nd hand Deores on my mtb since October 2014 and they are still amazing, and I've never touched them bar a new set of pads. 

Can't articulate this very well but I feel as if it's the ice tech rotor's that maketh the brake, not so much the brake itself. Or even the pads, or the adapter setup etc.

As in the power comes from the rotor, ergo a well set BBx/sd7/flipp's wilko cable (same here, never fussed me buying some fancy cable, maybe for the back on a trial I would but a vaselined to fook wilko cable has seen me right on like two dozen bikes of multiple disciplines, why bother now?) equipped with an RT76/86 will do just as fine a job of stopping that sloppy gap to front as a monstrous 4pot/posh pads/billet adapter/icetech will do. The latter will no doubt try and relocate your elbows and shoulders on the way to snapping your forks, but the former will do the job of stopping you eating pavement just as well me thinks.

Edited by CC12345678910

9 minutes ago, niconj said:

Ice Tech is just for heat transfer and in trials no better than the normal RT66 I would argue.

I've never tried an RT66 so I don't know. I would summise the shape of the brake surface is a good one and the alu spider is stiffer than stainless and it's just a combo that works. (I know my cheapy rotor is getting old now cos it twists doing hard stops and is making funky noises). Icetech's just seem to be go to rotors regardless of the brake spec.

Edited by CC12345678910
Typo

Anyone with the Shimano xt / zee / SLX have a good lever feel?

I went xt, lever was mushy shite. Even had the lbs bleed it- still mushy shite. Every single xt/SLX I've ever felt in bike shops (read- hundreds) are all mushy shite.

I want to pull the lever till it hits, then have 0 movement towards the bar.. I want it to feel like a rock. I can't run any Maggie 4 finger lever because with the extra leverage - they are all mushy shite.

I ran an early Saint front/rear for a month, it was rock solid and I loved that feeling. I was so sad to get the xt..

currently run avid bbdb (really makes a difference compared to new bb7), Trialtech pads, whatever 203 rotor, odyssey linear slic cable (it's cheaper than shite cable for me- $4 for the whole thing), sd7. Rock solid, never slips, love it. Granted been using this same set up for 14-15? Years..

• 3 weeks later...

Upping here... I was wondering. I have a front Trialzone with the Tech 3 lever a 200mm mono rotor and Jitsie pads. The brake works as it should. Now I run a Vee on the rear with the SD7 levers and would really like to have the same lever on the front. I don't care about the lever feel as I am used to it on the rear.

Does a well setup BB7 with Odyssey linear slick cables and Trialtech pads work as well as the above mentioned setup? 

On 3. September 2016 at 9:50 AM, niconj said:

Does a well setup BB7 with Odyssey linear slick cables and Trialtech pads work as well as the above mentioned setup? 

I got a fairly cheap BB7 and bought some Trialtech pads + Odyssey cables. I just changed the brake and left the 200mm hope mono rotor. Well, I'd say the brake is as good as the Hope* I had on my bike before and I'm pretty sure that it hasn't fully bedded in yet. The bite point isn't as defined but it's still like running into a brick wall.

I swapped brakes because I like the same lever on both sides. Now I even have the same lever feel (running SD7 levers and an Avid Ultimate Vee on the rear), which is very cool. I don't mind the soft bite point.

*Hope Trialzone caliper, Tech 3 lever, Jitsie pads

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, niconj said:

I ...

Edit: I took the time to true the rotor and in combination with the adjustable brake pads of the BB7 there's no rubbing whatsoever.

I also set up the brake different to the manual. I figured that the most power comes from the brake when the litte brake arm is in 90° to the caliper (when the pads touch the rotor). So before tightening the cable, the inner pad has to be as as near to the rotor as possible and the outer pad has to be moved with the brake arm as close to the rotor as possible trying to get a bite point at a 90° angle. Then the brake cable can be tightened. It's a bit fiddly but it works a treat.

Brake is super powerful and quiet. It is a bit heavier but taking a good sh*** has more weight savings than a Hope brake and is for free. :D

Edited by niconj

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm just going to give this a bump instead of starting a similar thread. Twice now I've been travelling for 6 months after using my Zees a handful of times and come back to find them leaking from just sitting there so I've gone off shimano. What other brakes are the go to in trials now? I'm not spending MT7 money but are the MT5 + 6 worth getting?

12 minutes ago, Willeyeam said:

Thanks, I think I'll go with Magura. Shimano seem like a good budget option but i just had a look around online and leaking at the calliper after a few months of not being used is a very common problem which they need to sort out before I'm going to buy any more of their brakes.

BB7 is low budget and doesn't leak. ;)