Gear ratios

Herbertlemon102

So I bought a Hex to be my brakeless bike, the ratio I've always run is 18:15 on stock and 18:12 on mod. Can anyone shed some light on using any of the different ones? I'm not asking what they do, obviously 18:14 is harder but faster, what's your experience with them in terms of the moves like sidehops, static gaps and the trade off of speed and power?

also, @Ali C, what ratio are you running in your 2010 brakeless hex video? Cheers.

31 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

So I bought a Hex to be my brakeless bike, the ratio I've always run is 18:15 on stock and 18:12 on mod. Can anyone shed some light on using any of the different ones? I'm not asking what they do, obviously 18:14 is harder but faster, what's your experience with them in terms of the moves like sidehops, static gaps and the trade off of speed and power?

also, @Ali C, what ratio are you running in your 2010 brakeless hex video? Cheers.

I actually can't remember! Possibly 23-18 at one point...If I were to build one up now I'd run 22-18

• Like 1

I used to really love 18:13 with short cranks, but then people stopped making 158s.
Obviously get the speed benefit with 18:12, but it still doesn't feel quite as nice as I remember the old setup feeling (very possibly rose-tinted glasses).

Control AND power were better with the 13 on the rear, but I haven't had it for years and years so it's hard to say. Wouldn't want to try it on 165s - think that would be TOO light.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aener said:

I used to really love 18:13 with short cranks, but then people stopped making 158s.
Obviously get the speed benefit with 18:12, but it still doesn't feel quite as nice as I remember the old setup feeling (very possibly rose-tinted glasses).

Control AND power were better with the 13 on the rear, but I haven't had it for years and years so it's hard to say. Wouldn't want to try it on 165s - think that would be TOO light.

I feel like trials is 90% rose tinted glasses :P if I remember right, back when you would've had those ratios you would've been more pedalling up walls instead of bunnyhops? (So, less speed required)

Edited by Herbertlemon102