My new indoor training course

Scoox

I live in Wuxi, China, and here everything's made of polished super-slippy granite (looks like granite, probably isn't). Back home pallets can be found for free in any skip but here they are harvested like gold. So basically a lot of nice obstacles are made of slippy crap and are not very rideable. After struggling for two years to find a decent riding spot, last week I went to the top of my block, just to check out the view. When I got to the top I was greeted by a door with a beefy padlock on it. Googled how to hack a lock without damaging it, works. Once on the rooftop, I witnessed this huge unused space. The perfect trails spot. Bought 20 pallets for about four quid each, and had them delivered to the underground car park. Getting them to the rooftop was possibly one of the most intensive workouts I've ever done, because the lift doesn't go all the way up. That was yesterday. My arms still ache a bit so I've not been able to test-ride the training course yet, but I'm hoping to go up there tomorrow. Here are some pics, best thing about it is the roof, which means I can ride even when it rains.

I wonder how long it'll be before I get found out. I'll probably have to bribe the porter to turn a blind eye.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

Been riding pretty much every other day, even on days of heavy rain. Finger to the weather :) Pallets are really a great help for learning. Dunno what it is, but there's something welcoming about a stack of pallets. I can adjust height and gap length which is also pretty awesome. I've tried various set-ups but at the moment I'm using a pile of 2x2x5 pallets, basically a big square platform for practising up to front wheel. I could get away with 1x2x5 but the extra surface makes everything seem less scary = more progress. I might get some more. If you are lucky enough to have a nice backyard I highly recommend getting yourself at least 10 pallets, they are awesome.

• Like 1