26" carbon tapered disc fork?

Swoofty

I know they exist, but does anyone know where I can actually buy a 26" carbon tapered disc fork? The echo version seems to have been the most produced, but so far I can't even find one of those. Next question - why are they so rare? What's the big drawback?

There you go: https://www.seriousconnection.com/fourche-waw-carbone-ultimate-26-disc-c2x30808481

They are seldom because of the wheel torsional flex from the brake torque: Light carbon forks are bought by comp riders, and comp riders need very rigid bikes, so they don't ride disc on 26 bikes.

Edited by stirlingpowers

I saw the Crewkerz one on Serious, but it's only for 9mm through axle. I'm pretty sure I could adapt to that without buying they're heavy front disc hub <huff>.

Echo says they have no more of the tapered version so I'll have to find one in the wild somewhere.

I find the Extension fork unbelievably unattractive. 

Crewkerz through-axle disk hub is definitely heavy, but there are some major pluses: more rigid front and simplicity of the installation.
Personally, I'm a big fan of light components, but I'm considering Crewkerz through-axle setup. Also, I think that in the next few years we will see through axle hubs from other companies as well.

6 hours ago, Target said:

Crewkerz through-axle disk hub is definitely heavy, but there are some major pluses: more rigid front and simplicity of the installation.
Personally, I'm a big fan of light components, but I'm considering Crewkerz through-axle setup. Also, I think that in the next few years we will see through axle hubs from other companies as well.

I don't dislike the through axle idea, but they are just being dicks for using a proprietary and honestly humorous 9mm through axle. 15mm through axle anyone? Industry standard? Ever heard of 'em? Yeah, yeah, everybody's just trying to make a buck, I know. I bet I could get Extralite to make some 9mm through axle endcaps for my Hyper JF hub.

Anybody know what the difference is between the vertical leg and the regular WAW carbon fork. No pictures on the website.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the carbon through axle disc 26” and its just as nice as the hs33 one. the only thing i dont like is how you need an adaptor to run a 180mm rotor (it has a 160mm disc mount).

the vertical version is your standard 9mm vertical dropout for bolt on hubs. i imagine it looks the same as the hs33 version they made a while back https://trial-world.com/en/26-forks/1304-crewkerz-waw-wpp-26-carbon-fork.html

9mm front through axles were pretty common on mtb a while ago, you could (and probably still can) get adaptors for hubs like hope and i9.

I'm in the process. It would just be nice that at least by the year 2020 i could order something on a website and it would be shipped to me without any extra steps involved. Surely it can be done. So far 3 emails back and forth and the fork's not shipped yet...

• 1 year later...

Any words on when the standard dropout Crewekerz 26 carbon forks are going to be back in stocks? They have been out for months with no restocking done in a long time. 

I find it unfortunate that Crewkerz decided to make their own proprietary through axle with only their hub compatible with it. If for some reason you break the front 9mm theu axle and you can't find a replacement Crewkerz through axle hub, then the entire fork is useless.

They should at least make an adapter for a through axle to bolt on hubs like Clean does for their through axle forks. 

6 hours ago, Sam Song said:

Any words on when the standard dropout Crewekerz 26 carbon forks are going to be back in stocks? They have been out for months with no restocking done in a long time. 

I find it unfortunate that Crewkerz decided to make their own proprietary through axle with only their hub compatible with it. If for some reason you break the front 9mm theu axle and you can't find a replacement Crewkerz through axle hub, then the entire fork is useless.

They should at least make an adapter for a through axle to bolt on hubs like Clean does for their through axle forks. 

Hello, Crewkerz have difficulties resourcing materials like many other companies to make parts such as frames, forks etc... Maybe you can tell me what you need and I will do my best to help.

Thank you 

8 hours ago, Sam Song said:

As far as I know, 9 mm through axle is not their own proprietary standard, but a rare and outdated one. I think you can find Hope hubs that will fit into Crewkerz through axle fork. 

Nevertheless, I don't understand why they've chosen 9 mm standard and not the much more popular 15 mm with a stiff and lightweight hollow axle. Cannot think how 9 mm would be better than 15 mm.