Where to start.

Matt_71

Hello all,

I would like to get into trials, my background is bmx and mountain biking.  Have any of you had experience of the trial academy in Cambridge?  I am thinking of taking part in a few sessions to see how I get on?  I am fifty years old.  Am I going to feel out of place, is the academy full of kids or will there be like minded adults there?

I would just like to say this is a great forum, people seem genuinely helpful and friendly.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hi! Good to see more people riding!

I can't speak for the average age of attendants as I've not been to any of the training sessions, but it's a really great riding venue, and the family that own and run it are super friendly.
At 50, you will be one of the older riders around, but the general trials community doesn't really scorn age like other groups sometimes do. It's much less of a "cool kid" crowd than BMX, and I feel like the average age of a trials rider is a bit older, too. There are plenty of 30+ year olds kicking about. That might just be the people I tend to ride with though.

There's a big reunion ride happening there on August 8th. If you can get along to that, you'll probably get a decent snapshot of the kind of crowd trials pulls. Obviously there's kids riding, but also plenty of teens-through-thirties.

Saying all that - try to just ignore age. It's irrelevant. If you find something fun, do it. I'm 31 and spent yesterday largely surrounded by 8-10 year olds at a trampoline park and Laser Quest :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, I will certainly try and attend on the 8th.  It should be interesting as I’ve only seen trials riders in videos.

Hopefully I will be able to book myself on a beginners session in the next few weeks.

Happy riding.

Hi DavidR8,

How are you finding trials? I attempt bits and pieces on my mountain bike, most of it is bloody difficult, I’m hoping once I get a dedicated bike it will make it easier.  What’s your favourite trick/move/technique (what is the accepted terminology)?
What would you most like to learn?

5 hours ago, Matt_71 said:

Hi DavidR8,

How are you finding trials? I attempt bits and pieces on my mountain bike, most of it is bloody difficult, I’m hoping once I get a dedicated bike it will make it easier.  What’s your favourite trick/move/technique (what is the accepted terminology)?
What would you most like to learn?

I'm just starting out so working on my trackstand in an effort to improve my balance. I managed to pick up a used Inspired Element which is a real treat to ride. I also practice on my Rocky Mountain Stratos.

• Like 1

Just wanted to post to encourage you. I'm 40 and started last year. On a Hex now. Pulled shoulders and sore back at times, but it's so much fun. Working on improving my backhop now and hopping off of stuff. Been taking a bit of a break for bike race training, but will be back to it full force after that.

Anyway, good luck!

• Like 1

I've been learning trials 3 years now but only recently started off the bike balance practice. Would recommend. Try standing on one leg for a minute, swap legs, not too difficult.., then repeat but with your eyes shut. Really felt it on the ankles and lower leg. Can't promise it will actually help but maybe will let you know in six months time! Good for when your upper body is suffering.

Loads of other balance exercises available on YouTube but that's a good beginning.

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1